P5LP-LE bios update to recognize HDD

Hellfirex11

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Im trying to troubleshoot an ongoing problem with a friends computer. He has an HP m7463w and his old hard drive's master boot sector got damaged after he unplugged the power several times from it freezing constantly. He bought a new sata hdd and i put it in along with 2 new sticks of ram. Everytime i boot from the windows xp cd, when i get to the screen to install... It shows no partitions and after pressing enter to install it gives me a blue screen error. Pressing C to create a partition does nothing. The hdd does come up in the bios and its set to sata.

After some looking around the HP site offers a bios update to recognize new sata hdd's. The only problem is they dont offer a bin file to make a boot disk. Just some exe meant to be ran in windows. My tech knowledge is pretty limited and i dont have much equipment to test things so this is as far as i can go.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-54452-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&product=1847156 <- bios link

Ill post the error msg from the blue screen when i get a chance.