My New i7 Rig, How'd I do?

Javic73

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Hey guys, haven't been on here in so long that I couldn't remember my password or what email address I registered under lol. My other name is Javic if anyone remembers me.

Anyway, just ordered my first new rig since the P4 3.0GHz that I'm still using today was built, so I'm curious to anyone's feedback that's been following things a lot more closely than I have.

Normally I would have researched these very forums before building a new rig to be sure I was getting the best of the best, but unfortunately my current PC has one foot in the grave (its the hard drives) and I work mostly from home, so I "need it for work" :D

Anyway, here are the specs. I realize that I forgot to order a CPU Cooler, but will get on that. I'll also probably add a blue-ray burner at some point, but its not a necessity for me now.

ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601940

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C9

ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LIAN LI PC-B25B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

I was going to go with the Sapphire version of that video card, but of course they were out of stock, but Asus should be fine, and matching the MB typically can't hurt. Also with the RAM, was going to get the Corsair Dominator series, but again, out of stock :(

So... how'd I do? Do I need to call and modify some components ASAP? lol

Liderc

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
Looks good, most people will tell you it's better to get the 920 over the 940 because the you can OC the 920 to 3.8-4.0 depending on cooling without spending the extra cash.

edit: dugan beat me to it.

Javic73

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008

What video card would you recommend over the one I chose? Keep in mind an x2 really is not in my budget.

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
i think u misunderstood him. he meant AFTER u downgrade ur CPU to the 920, u should then get a better video card with that extra money (the x2 will be in ur budget).

Lurker87

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
^ +1 Definitely could have afforded that 4780x2 if you'd have just gone 920. Do you think you can cancel the order for the 940 and change it to the 920 + 4870x2 replacing the 4870?

Also, the case is a bit expensive for my taste. I've heard the Antec Twelve Hundred is a nice alternative to the Lian Li for a lot less. Also, Vista Premium does all most people need, so Ultimate is usually kind of extraneous. Other than that, very solid choices.

Javic73

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I don't go insane with games, basically just WoW and Warhammer Online. I also read a bunch of reviews on the i7's and the 940 scored consistently a fair amount higher than the 920. I don't typically overclock, because I also rely on this machine for work, so I figured it'd be better (for me) to go lower on the graphics and a little higher on the cpu. Yes, I know the 8 cores are due out not too far from now, but I don't see myself needing to upgrade from the 940 for quite a while. Hell, I've had my P4 3.0GHz that I am typing this post from that I have had since the P4 3.0's were first released. I was one of the first few to get one from newegg.

Javic73

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008

I have a Lian-Li for my Email\Web\FTP\Streaming Radio server that I have 16 drives in all RAID5 that I absolutely love. I don't mind spending a bit of cash for the quality. Yes, I've used Antec numerous times in the past, but once you've owned a Lian-Li (if you're a frequent builder/upgrader) you don't want to settle for anything less. At least IMO.

As far as Vista is concerned, since I work from this machine, it would be better for me to have the added security of Business/Ultimate, so if I've got to spend the money, I'll pay a few extra bucks for the "best".

I actually have a copy of Ultimate I got free from Micro$oft, but I just moved and I can't find the damn thing. Figures, even when they give you free stuff, they still manage to get you in the end! lol

If you want advice, ask for it before you buy, not after.

Good build though.

I would also have suggested that the 940 is too expensive for the one extra multiplier that you get. 920 is better.

P6T is good, but the palm device is a frill from my point of view.

I like the velociraptor.

Add a 1366 cpu cooler. Noctua and thermalright have some good ones.

Samsung dvd is quiet.