Hitachi vs Maxtor vs Seagate - What is the best?

jasejames

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
:sarcastic: What is the best hard drive in terms speed, performance, price and reliability from Hitachi, Seagate and Maxtor hard drives. I'm considering only desktops.

You did not consider Samsung. Have you ever heard of anybody having a problem with a Samsung drive?
All drives cost about the same these days. Samsung has to be the most reliable drive made today.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008

no cause so few people use them, same with hitachi (not to say they are bad drives)

three top drives in order
samung f3
wd black
seagate .12

.12 slightly outperforms the black but i have had to many problems with customer service to ever buy seagate again

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
yes those three are. just as mac and linux are well known os's, because they are well known does not mean they are anywhere as large as western digital or seagate.

as far as the link you posted:
it refers to external drives, not what the OP asked about

several of those "best" drives are not sold by newegg or amazon two of the biggest online retailers, odd the top companies don't sell these wonderful products

most the "articles" are nothing more than cut and paste excerpts of manufacturer product pages

In summary it looks like the crappy blog of someone who doesn't know much about computers

^ Agreed

You're going to get a lot of differing oppinions on a question like that. With the widespread use of Western Digital drives, I would say they have the best track record for quality and reliability. They also usually have the top performing drives.