Sign in with
Your question

Is this a solid build?

Last response: in Systems
December 11, 2008 11:09:48 PM

Hello everyone, after posting around on several websites, I have chose the following parts:
Before I tell the parts the motherboard I will be using is a ASROCK Intel G31 1600FSB , as i'm getting it off my uncle for free. Is it ok?

The parts I have chose are as follows:
CPU : E8400
Graphics card : 9800GTX+
RAM : 4GB(2x2) 800mhz
Hard drive : 500GB 7,200
Case : Thermaltake M9
Power Supply : I was going to get a corsair 650TX, but it was out of stock , so I chose a corsair 620HX , but I got told it's better anyway. Is this true?

If you could change any part of this set up , what would it be and why?

Please tell me this motherboard is ok :) 

Thanks

More about : solid build

December 12, 2008 1:02:17 AM

The 620HX is modular while the 650TX is not. The 650TX has a single 12v rail at 52amp while the 620HX has3 12v rails at 18amp each. The HX also costs about $40 more than the TX. So unless you want to pay extra for a modular design, consider picking up a 750TX as its still cheaper than the 620HX. PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W is also another great alternative to a 650TX.

That ASRock motherboard is alright since its free but you should consider getting a p45 board if your willing to spend ~$120 on a board. GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P.

Everything else looks pretty good. Just make sure the ram has tight timing and low voltage requirements. G.SKILL PI Black is a great choice.
December 12, 2008 9:48:57 AM

Thanks for that reply! What would be the difference between the ASRock motherboard and the p45 motherboard?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 12, 2008 11:09:29 AM

The asrock motherboard you have picked has a G31 northbridge chipset which is older then the P45 chipset. P45 supports PCI-e 2.0, 45nm CPUs, and limited Crossfire support @x8.

Consider an Antec 300 case for better airflow instead of the thermaltake m9.

What size monitor will you be using?

Not sure about how old that motherboard is ....may need a different processor to flash the bios so you can use 45nm CPUs....might want to ask your uncle to see if he can flash the bios before he gives it to you.

Everything else looks solid the only compatability issues you may run into other then the CPU/bios would be between the motherboard and the memory you pick. Check the motherboard web site for QVL before you purchase your memory and/or pick memory that is (JEDEC compliant) 1.8 volts.
December 12, 2008 12:16:05 PM

Ya Elvis is probally right saying that this board at least will need to be flashed, unless your uncle already was using a 45nm cpu in it? Not the best board i've seen but free is free. Beggers can't be choosers.

Also is it a micro board?
December 12, 2008 8:54:13 PM

yeah i think its a micro board....... what does flashed mean? :o 
!