Bizarre problem, most likely mobo. PLEASE HELP

tbonethomas

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Hey guys, I would really appreciate any help because I have no idea what else to try. Please bear with me because the problem is kind of complicated and ridiculous.

SPECS:
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe VT
Memory: 3x 2 GB sticks Gskill DDR3 1600
CPU: Intel core i7 920 2.66 GHZ Quad core
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896-P3-1257-AR Video Card
Power Supply: 750 Watt S75CF
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - OEM

Background/Problem: I put this computer together a little under a month ago. It was working fine until this morning. Basically I turned it on and came back to find it stuck at a plain black screen that said: "Marvell 88SE61xx Adapter - BIOS version 1.1.0L72a Initializing." I turned it off and turned it back on, and it would not even send a signal to the monitor. After waiting for a bit and turning it back on, I got to the mini OS (splashtop) screen that comes with mobo (it comes up before anything else) and tried to go to BIOS from there. It froze at the Asus P6T screen that usually just flashes for a second. I had to go to work so I left. I came back and turned it on, and tried to enter Windows. It loaded all the way into Windows and I moved the mouse about an inch. Then it froze completely. I unplugged the mouse and plugged it back in, and it still didn't work (it also stopped glowing, which it usually does and was doing before I unplugged it). The keyboard also would not respond, and I tried unplugging it too with the same results. I turned it off, and again it would not even send a signal to the monitor.

I've noticed that if I wait for a few minutes, I can get it to start up a little and at least get to BIOS; if I don't wait, it won't even send anything to the monitor (although all the lights inside still come on and the fans still run).

I tried resetting the CMOS. I tried unplugging all my drives and starting it up. I tried disabling Marvell in BIOS. I tried unplugging EVERYTHING from the mobo and plugging it all back in. Nothing worked. I can get the web browser built into the mobo's splashtop OS to work, but getting into windows has proven impossible.

I think it's a mobo issue because of the fact that it sometimes will not even send a signal to the monitor, but I could be wrong. Any ideas at all?

Thanks

I would get down to one stick of memory for starters. Sometimes a stick fails. If one stick works, go into the bios and raise the memory voltage manually by .1-.2 volts to at least 2.0. Then you can try the other sticks one by one until the problem appears. Your power supply could also be the problem with your high end video card. Some claim higher voltage but fail under full load.