xzel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
I've helped put together a couple of computers before but I cannot figure out what is wrong with the computer I just built.

Here's the specs:

PSU: COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-650-PCAR 650W ATX from factor 12V V2.01
CASE: Cooler Master|NV-690C-KWN1-GP BK RT
MoBo: MSI X58 PLATINUM 1366 RT
Video Card: XFX PVT98GYDF4 9800GT 512M RT
CPU: INTEL|CORE I7 920 2.66G 45N R
Memory: 2Gx2|GSK F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ R
HD: 500G|ST 7K 32M SATA2 ST3500320AS (2 of them for Raid 0)
DVD BURNER: LG|GH22LP20 22X IDE LS

The problem I am having is that the computer starts, stays on for maybe 20 seconds, and then shuts off and restarts. Also, the screen I have connected to the graphics card doesn't load anything. I had a feeling it might have something to do with the PSU but now I am not sure.
I can take pictures if that would help.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
what a weird build in any case... i7 are good with triple channel ram (3 sticks) and raid0 on 500gig drives is silly :p

Try without anything else than 1 stick of ram and cpu. Then add video card, other stick of ram, hard drives, etc.

Also, make sure you have properly installed your cooling solution. I've seen similar problem with a heatsink mounted the wrong way around and thermal protection kicking in.

xzel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

Yeah I was planning on possibly buying another type of memory over the weekend to try it out.

Why would this be silly?

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
I find it silly because the 500gigs are only slightly cheaper than the 640s and they are slower (less density, older generation).

Also, raid0 is more risky in general (partly because people don't know how to setup and use them properly, partly because of the design). If you really want speed, might as well shell extra for a velociraptor imo ;)

I'm not saying it won't work, I'm just saying that your chances of loosing your data is higher than with a single drive (slightly more than 2x of not much is still not very much, granted).

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Maybe a good idea is do raid 1 until you fill a hard drive and then if you fill it up switch over to a raid 0. Going to need some help because you'll have to format the first one so, you'll need a way to get that data off for the time being, but then you can put it back on. Just a thought. Not sure if you have the resources for doing something like this?

Let's try to stay on topic here. The problem doesn't have anything to do with whether RAID is silly or not.

I'm starting to feel like a broken record since I post this multiple times a day, but here it goes - is your 4/8-pin CPU power connector plugged into the motherboard in addition to the 24-pin motherboard power connector? The CPU power connector is close to the CPU socket and has a cover over 4 pins. If both of those are plugged in, is the 6-pin power connector plugged into the GPU? I hope you don't think I'm questioning your computer building abilities. I just see multiple posts per day where the only problem with the computer not posting is because the CPU power connector wasn't plugged into the motherboard.

You also need to be sure the CPU cooler is fully seated. Did all four pins FULLY seat? If the CPU overheats it will cause the system to shut down or restart.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Back in the day I even did that shortstuff. I sat looking like an idiot for hours figuring out why my vidoe wouldn't post. ended up being that I forgot to plug in the (at the time) 4 pin connector to the board (It was located in a goofy spot though however).

So I can back up shortstuff when he/she really says they are not questioning your ability to put together a computer but it is a common mistake. Even people that put together a lot of comps make this mistake.

If this seems to not solve the issue take a picture inside your case for us and post it. Maybe we can determine if something is misplugged?

xzel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008

Did know about the 640s.
Oops sorry i meant raid 1. lol.

24 and 8 pin were in the motherboard. Also the the gpu cord was plugged in.

No it's plugged in. If I don't fix it when i try new memory then I'll post up the pictures.

Thanks for the help. I'll post again when I try different stuff.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I think you may have to go with your gut on this one. The power supply you chose is not known to be a solid, reliable brand. Cooler Master makes some good cases, but...
If you can RMA it I would trade it for a PC Power & Cooling 610 or a Corsair 650-750.