Sign in with
Your question

New Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 Looping at Startup (HELP!)

Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2009 1:47:08 AM

Hey All,

I got a new Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5... I just installed it and pushed the power button and it turns on and then turns back off. But continues to loops infinite. All the lights come on and all the fans spin up including the gtx 260. IDK WTF is goin on? :fou:  I tested my PSU with a PSU Tester, and thats fine. Ill try some old pc4200 ram and clear the bios and post back.

My Build:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
CPU: Q6600 G0
Memory: Patriot PC8500 Viper Extreme
GPU: EVGA GTX 260 55NM
PSU: PC Power and Cooling 750W Continuous 820W Peak
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB
April 18, 2009 2:04:53 AM

Ive Cleared The CMOS and tried PC4200 and PC5300 Ram and it still loops. Any ideas? Ive also unlpugged everything except the power connectors, and disconnected the HDD and DVD drive and took out the GPU... but still loops. It Could Be my CPU I Guess... Any ideas?
April 29, 2009 9:48:45 PM

what do you mean by looping which kind of loopin you mean
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
April 29, 2009 10:19:56 PM

I'm running a DS5 and can help - but - ghassan has it - what, exactly, are the symptoms? Do you have a case speaker hooked up? If not, can you get temporary access to one? Is it POSTing? Do you get continuous, successive reboots, or does it sort of go dead for a few seconds between boots? Can you get into the BIOS at all with a <DEL>?
April 30, 2009 7:47:32 PM

I'm having a similar problem with a UD3R. The loop lasts about 4 seconds: lights, fans, reset (before post). This happened after a reboot in which I got 3 error messages: 1) Main bios checksum error, 2) MBR3 error, and 3)bootmgr not found. Now I just get the loop. I also unplugged it, pulled the RAM, etc. All components are just over a month old and I do not think there is a problem with the PSU.

Someone recommended flashing the bios or using the secondary bios. How do I do these things?
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 2, 2009 12:08:44 AM

BIOS checksum error is rare (except after a blown BIOS flash), and, unfortunately, bad news. If you cannot get to the BIOS screen, you cannot reflash the BIOS - kind of a 'catch-22'. The other errors likely indicate a corrupt HDD, or the system's inability to achieve a basic mount of the drive. I don't know if the Express Recovery utility on the CD shipped with the MOBO will do anything without your having run it once while the system was working; I think it makes a copy of the BIOS on a 'hidden' track of HD0, and can sometimes recover from there - but I doubt the BIOS is on the distro disk. Try a power off (at the PSU switch) BIOS reset (short the pins for at least ten seconds) and try it from there, but I think it may be RMA time, unfortunately... I'll do more research - I believe I've come across some other recovery techniques that have worked for some people.
May 5, 2009 5:59:13 PM

Sorry for the late reply.... Ive been really busy lately.

The Problem was a dead Processor. I put in an old pentium 4 HT and it booted right up. So now i got a Intel q9550 and everything works great!

Thanks for all your help!!!
June 10, 2009 3:48:07 AM

I just got one of these today and I am having a looping problem as well. I not sure but I don't think its seeing my HDD. It boots up fine, I can get into the bios, but at dmi.... it wants to boot from cd, I've checked in the bios and it seed the cd rom, but I don't see where its seeing my Raptor 150gb. I know there is nothing wrong with the HDD, I was using it 1 hour before.
June 10, 2009 5:20:30 PM

kymeri said:
I just got one of these today and I am having a looping problem as well. I not sure but I don't think its seeing my HDD. It boots up fine, I can get into the bios, but at dmi.... it wants to boot from cd, I've checked in the bios and it seed the cd rom, but I don't see where its seeing my Raptor 150gb. I know there is nothing wrong with the HDD, I was using it 1 hour before.

I couldnt event get into the bois, all that happened was the fans and lights turned on, the then turned off and so on,
but that was because i had a dead q6600...

but i had a second problem after i got my new q9550, it was taking days to install vista, i called gigabyte and the said the bios they just released added support for 45nm quads, updated bios fixed that.

as far as your problem goes change the boot order in the bios, (gigabyte primary boot disk is the dvd drive by default) but first see if your hdd is even listed in the bios

also, are you using AHCI or IDE?
June 10, 2009 5:32:38 PM

jworley said:
I'm having a similar problem with a UD3R. The loop lasts about 4 seconds: lights, fans, reset (before post). This happened after a reboot in which I got 3 error messages: 1) Main bios checksum error, 2) MBR3 error, and 3)bootmgr not found. Now I just get the loop. I also unplugged it, pulled the RAM, etc. All components are just over a month old and I do not think there is a problem with the PSU.

Someone recommended flashing the bios or using the secondary bios. How do I do these things?

to reset the bios: find the bios battery located by the PCI slots, the you should see to prongs right by the battery, use a screwdriver or something else that conducts electricity and touch both at the same time to create a circuit between the two. that resets the bios.

to flash the bios just update it, if you dont know how to, consult the good ol manual, or google it, or call gigabyte

it booted into windows before this? if so check the voltage on the battery.

are you overclocking? because if the overclock is completely unstable it will just loop and occasionaly reset itself.

!