Sign in with
Your question

Hearing Hard Drive While Scrolling

Last response: in Storage
May 27, 2010 10:12:10 PM

I recently built a new PC and installed in it a WD Caviar Black 640GB drive. I've owned a Logitech MX Revolution for over a year now and was sure to keep it in my transition to my new box. Since setting my new system up and getting back into browsing the web, I've noticed that when I scroll with my mouse I can hear a high pitched noise coming from my computer and I can't shake the feeling that it's coming from my harddrive. It sounds like the harddrive is being read from as I scroll. Any ideas what this sound might be and how to resolve it?

As an added question. Is it bad if I use a SATA 6Gb/s cable with my harddrive connected to a 6Gb/s port? As far as I understand the 640GB WD Caviar Black only supports 3Gb/s data transfer.
a c 415 G Storage
May 27, 2010 11:19:15 PM

I'm guessing the noise while scrolling is more likely to be coming from your monitor. Try grabbing the scroll bar with the mouse, turning off the monitor, and moving the mouse up and down to see if you can still hear the noise.

No problem using a 6Gbit/sec cable with a 3Gbit/sec drive - it'll just run at the lower speed.
May 27, 2010 11:23:45 PM

It's definitely coming from inside my box. Turned off the monitor just to check, but I can tell just because of the direction of the sound.
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
May 28, 2010 6:22:41 AM

Ya got me, then...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 28, 2010 6:49:52 AM

i got the same situation here. I fixed it by turning off the windows theme sounds from control panel and some IE button and theme setting combination. The sound came from my motherboard speaker. Sorry, that's all i can remember.

May 28, 2010 7:13:18 PM

Could the system be paging the HD for some reason? Virtual memory perhaps?
May 28, 2010 9:18:12 PM

It's weird, I only hear it when scrolling through certain panes. For example, in windows explorer I don't hear it when scrolling through the thinner pane on the left, but I do hear it when I scroll through the larger pane on the right.
a c 415 G Storage
May 29, 2010 1:54:40 AM

hhuh may have something - try unplugging your speakers and disconnecting the system speaker from the motherboard header to see if the sound persists...
May 29, 2010 2:03:18 AM

sminlal said:
hhuh may have something - try unplugging your speakers and disconnecting the system speaker from the motherboard header to see if the sound persists...

I literally just stuck my head inside my case and it is one of three items:

1. Corsair HX650 PSU
2. ASUS P7P55D-E Pro Motherboard
3. Ati Radeon X300 GPU

Unplugging the speakers did not change a thing. My gut is telling me that I'm hearing it coming from inside my power supply.
a c 415 G Storage
May 29, 2010 4:08:09 AM

Well, considering that scrolling causes rapid changes to the screen, if that's what you've narrowed it down to then my money would be on the video card.

Of course since I'm not actually putting up any money, talk is cheap... ;) 
May 29, 2010 5:25:36 PM

sminlal said:
Well, considering that scrolling causes rapid changes to the screen, if that's what you've narrowed it down to then my money would be on the video card.

Of course since I'm not actually putting up any money, talk is cheap... ;) 

I'm 90% sure it's the PSU. It's hard to discern 100% where the sound is coming from, but it actually sounds louder if I put my ear up to the back of the PSU. I'll be getting a new video card in a couple days, but I don't think it's going to solve the problem so I'll be looking into replacing the PSU ASAP.
!