rmbelson

Distinguished
May 20, 2003
MOBO - Abit AN-M2HD. Chip - AMD64 X2 BE-2400 - OS XP-Pro. SR3

Previously using onboard Realtek HD sound. Got a used x-fi card - xtreme Music. Uninstalled onboard drivers in Add/Remove Software. Used Driver Sweeper to clean all Realtek drivers and disabled onboard sound on mobo including HDMI.

Reboot. XP detects card as generic multimedia. Have disk with Creative drivers and a different one with OEM hacked version. All say cannot detect supported hardware. Tried Pax drivers & XFI Support versions. All no-go. Have tried seating and reseating card but no change.

I tried it on a different PC with an Intel Board Intel DG965RY, won't boot into Windows. This board happily runs an Audigy 4 card.

Is the card cooked? Or is this one of the nightmare installs I've been reading about?

The PCI slot I used for the card is the only one it will fit into, so I can't switch to another. The card is too long and there's a piece of the mobo at the foot of the other PCI slot. (The square thingie with a grooved top and Abit on it .) The X-Fi card will cover the top of this square thing in the other slot by about a half inch).

Does having an AMD64 board cause these woes? I wonder about this because I need to find a replacement board if I have to junk the x-fi. Don't want to go through this again.

I play music only, 2.0 sound out to an old stereo receiver with no digital connections. Maybe x-fi is overkill anyway.

Shall I bin the card?

I have newest BIOS for Abit board, though I don't think I flashed the Nvidia drivers. No sound card is worth this much work.