Is it just me or what?

I am getting increasingly miffed trying to produce a square picture on a
wallsized wall.
What the heck proportion has maxis used to squash the template?

I use roughtly a 3:5 distortion to get a resulting square frame. This makes
it a pest when you design a frame in a vector prog and export as a bitmap.
The resulting tweaking to make it square, before you fit in a perfectly
square picture, just distorts the sides of the frames.

Am I being picky? Hence, the only things my Sims get are posters. Not half
so good.

It would be so nice not have a decent picture importing addition instead of
having to change each batch of painted wall, or wallpaper when you think 'a
few nice pictures would brighten up this kitchen....'
Today, seriously miffed I just added fish to tiled bathroom walls. Now all i
need is a fisherman to like the bathroom. 8(

Granny - grumping.

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> It would be so nice *****not****... have a decent picture importing
> addition instead of having to change each batch of painted wall

I meant 'to' have a decent...
Fumble-finger.

Granny. red-faced.

Okay, the size for walls is 256x512, so to have it be square, seems you
would need to have it 512x512. But you would need to make it in your paint
program then split it into 2 walls, each 256x512. Then create each wall.

> Okay, the size for walls is 256x512, so to have it be square, seems you
> would need to have it 512x512. But you would need to make it in your
> paint
> program then split it into 2 walls, each 256x512. Then create each wall.

I get you... Fiddle, that.

Ah well, on with the motley. Oh, that would be body shop, wouldn;t it? 8(

Granny.

Oh wait - there's something odd about the way the walls work - they squash
vertically by 2/3rds. Try making the wall 256 x 768. There's sure to be a
tutorial on it somewhere. I've had no problems because I don't insist on
putting painted on pictures on my walls! Just plain.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Maxon" <jen.magson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Oh wait - there's something odd about the way the walls work - they squash
> vertically by 2/3rds. Try making the wall 256 x 768. There's sure to be
> tutorial on it somewhere. I've had no problems because I don't insist on
> putting painted on pictures on my walls! Just plain.

Exactly. I must have put it badly.
The thing is I have some lovely bitmaps of things like fruit labels. Travel
posters from the 1920/30s and things like that. Also some round plates
(hence the square)

The first time I did it I just dropped the poster onto the wall and fed it
in.
Result? tall oval oranges. 8(

It is a matter of fiddle and tweak.

Granny.

> "Maxon" <jen.magson@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Oh wait - there's something odd about the way the walls work - they
squash
> > vertically by 2/3rds. Try making the wall 256 x 768. There's sure to
be
> > tutorial on it somewhere. I've had no problems because I don't insist
on
> > putting painted on pictures on my walls! Just plain.
> >
> Exactly. I must have put it badly.
> The thing is I have some lovely bitmaps of things like fruit labels.
Travel
> posters from the 1920/30s and things like that. Also some round plates
> (hence the square)
>
> The first time I did it I just dropped the poster onto the wall and fed it
> in.
> Result? tall oval oranges. 8(
>
> It is a matter of fiddle and tweak.
>
> Granny.

What about using the painting thing in simpe to make paintings of your
designs? Also, you can do some that are the original posters, using the
recoloring tool.

>> The first time I did it I just dropped the poster onto the wall and fed
>> it
>> in.
>> Result? tall oval oranges. 8(
>>
>> It is a matter of fiddle and tweak.
>>
>> Granny.
>
> What about using the painting thing in simpe to make paintings of your
> designs?

What????? Where? How? Point me to a tutorial.

Also, you can do some that are the original posters, using the
> recoloring tool.

If I could work out how. The only tutorial I found horrified me. It was
about fifty stages long. I fell at the first fence trying to point my 'open
file' (or some such command) in the right direction. Couldn;t get it to open
and list a damn thing.
Gave up in dispair... dispare?... dispair.

Again. Point me to a tutorial I can understand. 8(

Granny - I have fed cats, watered the man, updated virus progs, ad-bashers,
drunk tea and am going back to bed now. Yawwwwwwn.

Um, RGiles has a great tutorial for Object Workshop. It's at modthesims.
Sorry I have a hard time posting the exact location but just look under the
forum and then tutorials. I think there might be one for the photo workshop
too.
If you have msn messenger, I can help too :)

> Um, RGiles has a great tutorial for Object Workshop. It's at modthesims.

<whine> I can't find it!!

> Sorry I have a hard time posting the exact location but just look under
> the
> forum and then tutorials.

<sigh> yes boss. I will have another try.

I think there might be one for the photo workshop
> too.
> If you have msn messenger, I can help too :)

Whaaaa! Out! OUT! get thee behind me! ugh! nasty! Ooooh. And at this time of
the morning, as well. What a thing to suggest to a respectable middle-aged
lady of refined habits and delicate constitution.

granny - walking away, whistling.

> Um, RGiles has a great tutorial for Object Workshop. It's at modthesims.
> Sorry I have a hard time posting the exact location but just look under
> the
> forum and then tutorials. I think there might be one for the photo
> workshop
> too.
> If you have msn messenger, I can help too :)

Got it!!! I was looking in the wrong place entirely. I needed a '2' after
Modthesims.

And I fall at the first fence again.
In Simpe (latest version; did it just now) I click on Plugins> Object
Workshop and get:
The objects.package is not found.
Please set the path to your Sims2 installation in extra>options, etc.

And this is where the fun starts. Basic Sims2 folder, in the relevant
'documents' does not work. I have tried a lot of options. It likes none of
them.

To where do I set that first pointer?

Granny - really, really baffled.

It refers to the main install folder, usually in c:\program files\EA
Games\The Sims2
The save game folder is in the documents one.

I'm tellin you, break down and get msn or trillian, lmao!

> It refers to the main install folder, usually in c:\program files\EA
> Games\The Sims2

What? WHAT!!! Ohhhhh.... Knickers and Bum!!! No wonder I couldn't find it.
8(

Hold on.....
Ha!! It works!!!!! I have a list... Lor, what a list.....
Hold on.....
Colonial bed.... No icon picture... wait.... Colour thing, yes, got it.. go
ahead anyway... wait....
Wumpcolonialbed.... YES!!!!! A picture file!!!!!

Long sigh of pure bliss... Oooer.. That is going to be a doozy. Something
over the top, I think. Something pink and nausiating.
I think you can let me get on with it now. 8)))

Have a gigantic hug.

> The save game folder is in the documents one.
>
> I'm tellin you, break down and get msn or trillian, lmao!

I did, once. MSN. I hated it. It took over the computer; then it started
rearranging the furniture in this bedroom. It teased the cats and left the
taps running. It took me WEEKS to get rid of it.
I tried yahoo mess. That was worse.

besides, who do i want to talk to? Glower... Who do i want to snap at, more
likely.
Go away. let me play with that bedcover now. I say, you could put faces on
the pillows 8))))
A cat curled up on the bed.... probably. 8(

Thank you again.

Granny.

Good Deal!!!
Also, if you haven't been in the game and gone thru the whole catalog, then
you won't see some of the items in the list.

> Good Deal!!!
> Also, if you haven't been in the game and gone thru the whole catalog,
> then
> you won't see some of the items in the list.

I say, beds is more difficult that I anticipated. The single bed gets a bit
imbrangled. I settled for making a colour template to show what goes where
and the single was half of one and half of another bit. Most strange.
Anyway. made it fury in KPT5. Doesn;t really look right, albeit got a nice
fuzzy fringe by the sheet, but the edges are too flat. Fur bounces.

Now... What do you mean, gone through the whole catalogue? Do you mean I
have to put everything into a house/houses, or just look at the beastly
things? There seems to be lists of the most strange things therein. Actions,
results... all sorts of stuff I know not wot of.

One puzzle. I was eager to change the colour of the piano, but it seems
there is only one file in that package so nothing showed up in SimPe. Ditto
the pictures, except for the wall hangings,

And what is picture maker? And why am i missing knowing about these things?
It took me most of my spare time to make a fuzzy bed I am not very pleased
with. What a day. My head hurts.

granny.

> > Good Deal!!!
> > Also, if you haven't been in the game and gone thru the whole catalog,
> > then
> > you won't see some of the items in the list.
> >
> I say, beds is more difficult that I anticipated. The single bed gets a
bit
> imbrangled. I settled for making a colour template to show what goes where
> and the single was half of one and half of another bit. Most strange.
> Anyway. made it fury in KPT5. Doesn;t really look right, albeit got a nice
> fuzzy fringe by the sheet, but the edges are too flat. Fur bounces.
>

> Now... What do you mean, gone through the whole catalogue? Do you mean I
> have to put everything into a house/houses, or just look at the beastly
> things? There seems to be lists of the most strange things therein.
Actions,
> results... all sorts of stuff I know not wot of.
>
> One puzzle. I was eager to change the colour of the piano, but it seems
> there is only one file in that package so nothing showed up in SimPe.
Ditto
> the pictures, except for the wall hangings,
>
> And what is picture maker? And why am i missing knowing about these
things?
> It took me most of my spare time to make a fuzzy bed I am not very pleased
> with. What a day. My head hurts.
>
> granny.

The Photo Studio is another one of the plugins for Simpe.
Okay I recolored the piano at one time, did you open object workshop, find
the piano, and do the color options or clone? Do the color one and save and
wait.............it should be there under the texture.

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Good Deal!!!
> > Also, if you haven't been in the game and gone thru the whole catalog,
> > then
> > you won't see some of the items in the list.
> >
> I say, beds is more difficult that I anticipated. The single bed gets a
bit
> imbrangled. I settled for making a colour template to show what goes where
> and the single was half of one and half of another bit. Most strange.
> Anyway. made it fury in KPT5. Doesn;t really look right, albeit got a nice
> fuzzy fringe by the sheet, but the edges are too flat. Fur bounces.
>

> Now... What do you mean, gone through the whole catalogue? Do you mean I
> have to put everything into a house/houses, or just look at the beastly
> things? There seems to be lists of the most strange things therein.
Actions,
> results... all sorts of stuff I know not wot of.
>
> One puzzle. I was eager to change the colour of the piano, but it seems
> there is only one file in that package so nothing showed up in SimPe.
Ditto
> the pictures, except for the wall hangings,
>
> And what is picture maker? And why am i missing knowing about these
things?
> It took me most of my spare time to make a fuzzy bed I am not very pleased
> with. What a day. My head hurts.
>
> granny.

Shoot, forgot the other thing, lol. As far as the catalog in the game, no,
you don't have to place everything, just look thru the catalog. Most have
done that very early on in their game, so no worries.

> The Photo Studio is another one of the plugins for Simpe.

But where??? The option is greyed out and not in my plugin list and I
updated.
I have tried with most paintings and except for the wall hanging no texture
files appear at all.

> Okay I recolored the piano at one time, did you open object workshop, find
> the piano, and do the color options or clone?

Colour options, honest.

Do the color one and save and
> wait.............it should be there under the texture.

Hold on....

Nope. Did it again. Saved as... all that shows up in file types is a row of
dots. Jumping to the saved location 'wumppianopaler' BAK file is 1K only as
is the package file. Now that doesn't look right. The smallest file there
'woven chair back' is about 48K and that was a tiny 256x256 graphic.

Hmmm. What has gone wrong, I wonder? try a new install?

Granny.

> Shoot, forgot the other thing, lol. As far as the catalog in the game,
> no,
> you don't have to place everything, just look thru the catalog. Most have
> done that very early on in their game, so no worries.

Did it again, yesterday. Opened and looked at every single thing in there.

now, some of the one-colour only items show up twice. One in the extra
colour position but badly placed and dividing line out of true. Clicking on
either produces the same original. These are items I have not changed.

Granny.

> > Shoot, forgot the other thing, lol. As far as the catalog in the game,
> > no,
> > you don't have to place everything, just look thru the catalog. Most
have
> > done that very early on in their game, so no worries.
> >
> Did it again, yesterday. Opened and looked at every single thing in there.
>
> now, some of the one-colour only items show up twice. One in the extra
> colour position but badly placed and dividing line out of true. Clicking
on
> either produces the same original. These are items I have not changed.
>
> Granny.

That is because they have an option to change either the frame or the
picture, so you can mix and match.

But first, let's get you working right. Did you get the setup.exe of simpe
or the rar file? If you got the exe file and ran it then you have an
uninstall option. If you got it the other way and maybe just added it to
your earlier version, maybe something is not meshing right.
Maybe try uninstalling it, deleting the folder, getting the program off your
computer period, then reinstall using the exe file from the site.

>> now, some of the one-colour only items show up twice. One in the extra
>> colour position but badly placed and dividing line out of true. Clicking
> on
>> either produces the same original. These are items I have not changed.
>>
>> Granny.
>
> That is because they have an option to change either the frame or the
> picture, so you can mix and match.

I don't think so. Without starting Sims2 I can't check, but some of these
were single items, without variations. I have been reading google searches.
One person suggests enlarging the font from 72 might embangle placing. Pest.
I need a largish font. I will try that. (this does not effect the Greyed-out
problem)

Another thread where the Photo option was grey suggested removing all
downloads.... then putting them back and running the recolour fix each
time. This sounds awful, but I am not a download junkie. I haven;t tried
this yet,

> But first, let's get you working right.

Right.

Did you get the setup.exe of simpe
> or the rar file? If you got the exe file and ran it then you have an
> uninstall option. If you got it the other way and maybe just added it to
> your earlier version

Right!! This has been miffing me. I get the setup.exe, and the last couple
of uninstalls I got a 'unable to remove, such and such, which might have
been moved' message. Then the program just re-presents my old SimPe
settings. This I do not want.
This is after uninstalling. And rebooting.

, maybe something is not meshing right.
> Maybe try uninstalling it, deleting the folder, getting the program off
> your
> computer period, then reinstall using the exe file from the site.

But how to uninstall files I can't find? Does Simpe put things in the system
folder, and if so, with what extension? I have brooded my way through them
looking at date options, etc but see nothing I care to delete without being
absolutely sure first.

So, just now I downloaded the latest Simpe version. Uninstalled the old
Simpe, and got the message above. Checked to see if any Simpe folders were
left behind. No. Rebooted computer.
Installed Simpe.
Photo Studio still greyed out.

Piano still gives me no texture options.

granny. do you think I should put MSM back? I hope you realise what a
sacrifice this suggestion is making.

> >> now, some of the one-colour only items show up twice. One in the extra
> >> colour position but badly placed and dividing line out of true.
Clicking
> > on
> >> either produces the same original. These are items I have not changed.
> >>
> >> Granny.
> >
> > That is because they have an option to change either the frame or the
> > picture, so you can mix and match.
>
> I don't think so. Without starting Sims2 I can't check, but some of these
> were single items, without variations. I have been reading google
searches.
> One person suggests enlarging the font from 72 might embangle placing.
Pest.
> I need a largish font. I will try that. (this does not effect the
Greyed-out
> problem)
>
> Another thread where the Photo option was grey suggested removing all
> downloads.... then putting them back and running the recolour fix each
> time. This sounds awful, but I am not a download junkie. I haven;t tried
> this yet,
> >
> > But first, let's get you working right.
>
> Right.
>
> Did you get the setup.exe of simpe
> > or the rar file? If you got the exe file and ran it then you have an
> > uninstall option. If you got it the other way and maybe just added it
> > your earlier version
>
> Right!! This has been miffing me. I get the setup.exe, and the last couple
> of uninstalls I got a 'unable to remove, such and such, which might have
> been moved' message. Then the program just re-presents my old SimPe
> settings. This I do not want.
> This is after uninstalling. And rebooting.
>
> , maybe something is not meshing right.
> > Maybe try uninstalling it, deleting the folder, getting the program off
> > your
> > computer period, then reinstall using the exe file from the site.
>
> But how to uninstall files I can't find? Does Simpe put things in the
system
> folder, and if so, with what extension? I have brooded my way through
them
> looking at date options, etc but see nothing I care to delete without
being
> absolutely sure first.
> >
> So, just now I downloaded the latest Simpe version. Uninstalled the old
> Simpe, and got the message above. Checked to see if any Simpe folders were
> left behind. No. Rebooted computer.
> Installed Simpe.
> Photo Studio still greyed out.
> >
> Piano still gives me no texture options.
>
> granny. do you think I should put MSM back? I hope you realise what a
> sacrifice this suggestion is making.

Try installing it to a different place and running it from there. Delete
the desktop icons and quick launch icons, if you have the simpe ones before
installing it somewhere else. Then let it put the icons back as it runs the
setup.
Mine is installed on another drive than what the sims is on. And of course
you aren't trying to run the program and sims2 too, right?

And, yes, personally I think you should put MSM back on. There is a new
beta one that is really cool :)

>> granny. do you think I should put MSM back? I hope you realise what a
>> sacrifice this suggestion is making.
>
> Try installing it to a different place and running it from there.

Uhhh-huh....
> the desktop icons and quick launch icons, if you have the simpe ones
> before
> installing it somewhere else. Then let it put the icons back as it runs
> the
> setup.
> Mine is installed on another drive than what the sims is on.

I will let it install on the C drive, where it wants to.

And of course
> you aren't trying to run the program and sims2 too, right?

You want a smack?

> And, yes, personally I think you should put MSM back on. There is a new
> beta one that is really cool :)

Really.... cool.... right. Cool? <scowl> had you said 'well designed' or
'efficient' or 'doesn;t try to take over your whole bleeding computer' I
might be more inclined to... Hmmmmm...... can you tell I am starting to lose
it?
Afternoon spent swearing at Bryce for a change. Now the... bums, sniggle,
sniggle, want a movie.
They can whistle. I have spots in front of my eyes.

MSM is part of Windows innit? Or should I download from scratch? how big?
Anything over a couple of MB and I start to spit.

Granny - feeling every day of her age. 8(((