4850. will my current system handle it?

G

i'm considering an 4850 but i'm worried about bottlenecks because i have a budget motherboard. my system:

CPU: intel e7200
mobo:ECS GF7050VT-M (DDR2 667, single channel ram, PCI Express x16)
ram: cosair 4gb 800mhz (downclocked to 667)
psu: antec earthwatts 500w

here is a more detailed spec sheet of the mobo (my main concern) but i believe i have included all relevant info above http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=858&CategoryID=1&DetailName=Specification&MenuID=44&LanID=0

would i be able to take full advantage of the video card? any other comments? thanks in advance. i do plan on upgrading the motherboard to a nice gigabyte or asus in a few months or a year.

It should work all right.

The specs don't say if it's PCI-E 1 or 2.0, so I suspect it's 1. Either way it's all right. The HD 4850 is not bottlenecked by PCI-E 1 slots. Your PSU and RAM are fine for it too. If anything, the CPU will be the bottleneck IMO, at least in some games.

lounge lizard

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
aevm is right. +1

i have a antiquated 939 amd board, 1gig of ram (not dual channel) and an x2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz

the 4850 gave me a massive boost. I can max textures in almost all games @ 1680x1050 with the obvious exception of crisis and cpu hungry RTS's like supreme commander.

if i were you i wouldn't hesitate a minute....

G

thanks for the input fellas. i'll be putting in my order for the 4850 once i'm finished with my final exams.