Sign in with
Your question

Another RAM CAS timings mix question

Last response: in Overclocking
May 1, 2010 3:54:26 PM

I have read about 5 other threads on mixing DDR2 RAM with different timings. Some say its fine, other say it will work but is unstable, and yet the last few I read said do not do it at all>??

So I have;

ASUS M4A785-M

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

G.Skill Timing is: 5-5-5-15 1.8V-2.0V

Corsair Timing is: 5-5-5-18 1.8V

I can set all timing in the motherboard options but I have no idea on how do do this and I have tried plugging the memories into different slots.

By mixing the them in so that DIMM_A has both 1 Gskill and 1 Corsair and slot B is set up the same way. I have the fastest memory performance according to Windows 7 Index.

I want to know if this is correct. How stable is my system going to be? And do/can I change the motherboard settings to make this work/stable long term?
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2010 7:43:42 PM

Sounds to me like you've already got past the hard part, by getting it to boot with 2 different brands of memory. If you run a program like CPU-Z , it will show your timings. Run a stability test (I like Everest Ultimate Addition 5.50 http://www.lavalys.com/support/downloads it's a trial addition, but it's free to download) if it passes you should be good-to-go, unless you plan on OC'ing.

PS: your memory can only run as fast as the slowest stick (which in your case you will never be able to tell)

To hard-set the voltages go into the Advanced>(mine says) JumperFree Configuration>AI Overclocking (Auto) set it to Manual. Scroll down to DDR Voltage and type in 1.8 (Warning: don't forget the point!! in 1.8) hit the F10 key>Save changes (yes). Your memory voltage should now be set to 1.8v.
m
l
!