General Motherboard

pccitizen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Thanks for any help,
I have a Dell E210882 MB used in a DImension 3100. Power supply tests OK. I can trace the (power switch) microswitch grounding of the signal to start from the front panel Ckt bd, thru the cable, and into the MB, but the MB does NOT assert the PS_ON signal to start the power supply. No other obvious indications of problem.
Does this mean my MB is bad, or is there any other test I can perform? Any recommends on new MB I can buy at Fry's?
Thanks!
John

I would try using a flathead plain screwdriver to touch the power switch pins and see if it posts. I usually do this with the board on a non conductive surface, such as a phonebook. Have you changed anything such as the cpu? Dell boards are more difficult to upgrade than some.

pccitizen

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, but no POST, pwr supply fan comes on, and nothing else happens - no display, no beeps. This is a virgin Dimension 3100 Dell - no add ons at all. So I guess I will find a replacement... sigh. Wonder if I can get one at Fry's. I presume I have to keep the same processor/chip sets in order to avoid all the new drivers I would need.
I have been on my Linux Fedora for a week now...... Just might stay there!
John