What are the chances the 32nm i7s will need new mb?

curio42002

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
Considering building a Core i7 system, but Intel often requires changes in chipsets for new processors. What's your opinion on the likelihood that the 32 nm Core i7's, when they come out next year, will be drop-in compatible with today's motherboards? These motherboards are expensive enough that I really don't want to have to change them a year out -- if that is likely, I'll probably just make do for a while. In a year the motherboards for Core i7 ought to be cheaper and less buggy anyway. But if they will probably work for the next gen i7's I might just go ahead now anyway -- those processors look sweet! :)

So what's your opinion?

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
AH yes but remember only certian motherboards that are 775 Socket can support 65nm and 45nm

99.99999% chance your going to need a new Mobo due to what Intel will call "power requirements" for 32nm..

Hints im just gonna be happy with my Q6600.... Not worth the cash to get a new mobo, cpu and ddr3 atm imo

CompuTronix

Intel Master

Like the following Chipsets?

■P45

■X48

■X38

■P35

■P965

■975X (now 3+ years old)

FatFunkey

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Only certain motherboards though can use a 45nm..if im correct i think maybe 2-4 (MAX) 975X Mobos (the only one that comes to mind is the one made by Asus ), even smaller number of 965s, and the P35+ and up were made for 45nm.

so most everyone updated there P965 and 975X mobos because of this, later yes more motherboard manufactures made a BIOS fix to use them but it was far and few and was buggy due to mainly Intel pushing for people to buy the P35 and up chipset/Motherboards)

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
i have a gut feeling the 32nm's wont just be a die shrink - they will have some added features which will require a new mobo to work. I'm guessing it will still be backwards compatible with those features turned off though.

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Why stop at the motherboard........

32nm i7's CPU's may need even lower voltage memory. Since the memory controller for i7 is on the CPU ...a die shrink may affect the type of memory that can be used without frying the CPU.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
My crystal ball is dusty...

But I can speculate as well as anyone, so here goes... Based on previous S775 die changes, (3? Wasn't there a 90nm cpu in there?) this one will require a BIOS update. Some MB mfg's will accomodate, some won't.

So as the guy at the roulette table says, "You pays your money, and takes your chances." And you can take that to the bank.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Ya i read somewhere that they were changing the socket for the 32nm chips?

When people ask about building a pc for future proofing and being able to upgrade I basically tell them now they can't. Ussualy when they would need to upgrade something they would need a full new computer anyways. To hard to stay on the leading edge technology curve.

@Elivis
Never thought of that either. That'll be interesting.

TRENDING THREADS