Video Editing / Gaming PC... "Future proofed"?

I was wondering whether or not this build would be a good choice for me (for the $1500ish or less price range).

I understand the benefits of the i7 Processor, but I was wondering whether it would worth the cost to me since I'd have to purchase expensive DDR3 Memory / Motherboard with it.

I'm in a film major in college right now, and in the near future (and post-college) I will be using video editing programs and what not to a great degree. This is why I'm leaning towards the i7, since the quad core is helpful in those programs and will probably be even more so in later iterations of those programs down the line (I think?). Is it still a good idea to go quad core or would a step down to a duo core be a better idea?

I'm also planning on playing videogames on the computer again, but it's not too much of an issue if my computer is not top of the line in that regard.

The Build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
- $300

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
- $300

Graphics Card: EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
- $260

Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail
- $165

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
- $120 ($100 after mail-in rebate)

Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
- $80

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
- $55

- $100

CD/DVD Drive: LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM
- $22

Equaling out to $1,434.00

(note: I put in that motherboard / power supply / case (for potential overclocking) to have more options in the future, but I'm not entirely sure if either are the best choices around)

Are there better options available that don't push the $1,500 price range... preferably even lowering that total cost? Any suggestions in general?

Thanks for helping out on this. I really appreciate it.
7 answers Last reply
More about video editing gaming future proofed
  1. This is a solid build.

Small Hickups

Make sure you get the 64 bit OS and not the 32 bit OS.

Change your CD/DVD drive to a sata drive. IDE is old school now.

What is your monitor? screen resolution and size? You will want something that is 1900x1200 and probally HD if your a film major.
    Good example:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236053

This will be a great build for your major and I think you'll be pleasently surprised how well it'll play games as well. Should really be able to crank on your rig.
  2. What kubes said - get a SATA optical drive. I bought a Plextor optical drive last year. I have not had any problems with it. IDE drives are about to disappear.

Since you are a film major perhaps you or one of your instructors can answer a question. I keep hearing about digital photo and video editing software making use of multiple core processors. The first rumors I heard a few years ago were that Adobe Photoshop made use of dual core processors but I could never track down the information. Has video editing software kept up with cpu and gpu development?
  3. That's a good question Johnny. I've always taken it as word of mouth that it has. I've never really read or heard from an offical source that it has or hasn't. Good question.
  4. Thanks for the responses.

kubes: I'll check into the SATA CD/DVD drives for my computer. I have a monitor back home that I think will work well, but if not, I'll definitely check out information on monitors.

JohnnyLucky / kubes: I'll check into that as well. I was just going off the assumption that these programs would start to use quad cores more efficiently in the somewhat near future and I just wanted to make sure that my computer would still work well with them.

So besides the CD/DVD Drive switch to SATA, are there other parts I should switch? If there is anything better or around the same quality as these parts for around the same cost or less? I just want to keep it "future proofed" so I'm wiling to spend this much... but I don't want to spend it unnecessarily.

Thanks again.
  5. nice ass build
    i'm so jealous at that price, canadians pay around 1800 for the same thing
    but free healthcare makes up for it :)
    haha
  6. Any other suggestions on what to replace? Anything better for around the same price or cheaper with about the same (or better) quality? I think I'll stick with around this same build if not.
  7. I think your good. Order away! Good luck with the build and let us know how it goes.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product