Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Power Supply/Video Card

Last response: in Components
March 7, 2009 3:53:52 AM

Okay, about 4 months ago I built me a Q6660/Geforce 9800GTX PC.

Since I built it, I obviously found out that my PSU I bought for it, did not have enough amps.
I rectified it, got a psu with a single 60a 12v rail. Worked perfect since I got it.

Now that its tax season, I was asked to build a pc. (for my mommy :p )
I've had this build 'saved' for a bit, had to substitute some parts as they became de-activated..)
I decided i'd try and make this build 'easier' then my last one. So I figured I'd pick up a Modular Power Supply.
But What I'm stumped on now, is whether or not, the PSU will work or not.

See I'm putting in this Video Card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
A GeForce 9800GTX+ Superclocked. It calls for a recommended 30a.

This is the powersupply I picked out.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Its got 64a on the 12v rail... But the rail is split 6 ways.

So what I want to know is this.
Is one 12v rail (which shows 20a) not strong enough for said video card?
Would I be better off trying to connect 2 4-pins on 2 12v rails to a 4->6pin adapter to get 40a?
I don't know anything about how modular power supplies affect this at all...

I don't want to waste $199 on a psu and not use it. ;) 

Best solution

a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2009 10:06:47 AM

SinisterDeath said:

A GeForce 9800GTX+ Superclocked. It calls for a recommended 30a.

That's for the entire system not just the card.
It's got a combined output of 64 amps on the six 12v rails and that fancy little "turbo" switch to turn off OCP and make it a single rail 64 amp unit, you'll be fine even if you don't use the switch.

a b ) Power supply
March 7, 2009 1:41:40 PM

A Corsair HX520 or 620 would be a better quality modular PSU, and more appropriately sized for your system.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2009 2:10:04 PM

theAnimal said:
A Corsair HX520 or 620 would be a better quality modular PSU, and more appropriately sized for your system.

QFT. There is no way a single card system will need an 800 watt PSU and especially not at 200 bucks. And yes, either of those Corsairs would be excellent choices.
m
l
a c 243 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2009 2:19:11 PM

theAnimal said:

Either Corsair would certainly be enough for his configuration and they are better in quality ( I certainly appreciate my HX620 ), but niether of them has the pretty lights ;) 
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 7, 2009 2:23:47 PM

^5 and +1 for what theAnimal and lostandwandering said.

A lot of the people who ask about power supply requirements overestimate system requirements. In addition, power supply calculators overestimate system requirements on purpose because there are a lot of cheap, low quality psu's of questionable value that people insist on buying. A high quality, stable, reliable power supply with sufficient amperage such as Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic is the best bang for the buck. If the cpu is the brain of the system, then the power supply is the heart of the system. There is no point in purchasing a cheap unit that will probably lead to a premature death.
m
l
March 7, 2009 8:25:37 PM

The main reason I asked about this is, the powersupply I orginally got for my PC (the first one I built) was around the 700W range, and 20a. It wasn't powerful enough for my Q66600/9800GTX build. (that or it was just a shitty psu...)

So, you can probably see why I don't want to go wasting money on a psu with a 12v rail with not enough amps. ;) 
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
March 8, 2009 1:15:08 AM

Gee! I can't even imagine a 700 watt power supply without at least 40 amps.
m
l
!