Sign in with
Your question

E8400 @ 4.1Ghz

Last response: in Overclocking
May 2, 2010 12:23:14 AM

I've had my pc for about a year and a half, left at stock clock for most of its life. Some newer games (BC2 Borderlands etc.) see some great gains going from 3.0ghz to 4.1. While overclocked my load temps during intense gaming sessions never get above 60c, usually they hover around 55-58c. I know the hotter a chip runs the less life it will have, my question is how much life am I taking away running at 4.1ghz (34c idle 58c load) compared to 3ghz (28-30c idle 45c load)? I'm still using the stock cooler, really suprised I've kept the temps as low as I have with it. Hopefully soon I'll be getting a decent aftermarket cooler and another 4850 as a last upgrade to keep this pc alive a few more years to come. I'm probably just paranoid, I just want to get as much speed and stability out of this system for as long as possible.

More about : e8400 1ghz

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2010 1:41:08 AM

Well, the max temperature is 72°C, and anything below 60°C is good. The fact you've got 4.1GHz on the stock cooler is awesome. As for its lifetime, I doubt it will shear off too much life of your E8400.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2010 2:29:42 AM

jj555298 said:
I've had my pc for about a year and a half, left at stock clock for most of its life. Some newer games (BC2 Borderlands etc.) see some great gains going from 3.0ghz to 4.1. While overclocked my load temps during intense gaming sessions never get above 60c, usually they hover around 55-58c. I know the hotter a chip runs the less life it will have, my question is how much life am I taking away running at 4.1ghz (34c idle 58c load) compared to 3ghz (28-30c idle 45c load)? I'm still using the stock cooler, really suprised I've kept the temps as low as I have with it. Hopefully soon I'll be getting a decent aftermarket cooler and another 4850 as a last upgrade to keep this pc alive a few more years to come. I'm probably just paranoid, I just want to get as much speed and stability out of this system for as long as possible.

4.1GHz at stock cooler? Awesome!!!
The E8400 that I got for my twin kids are running in the mid 50c's at stock speed so I don't dare OC it even a wee bit until I get a cooler. Maybe its the case. What case are you using?
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2010 9:13:54 AM

randomkid said:
4.1GHz at stock cooler? Awesome!!!
The E8400 that I got for my twin kids are running in the mid 50c's at stock speed so I don't dare OC it even a wee bit until I get a cooler. Maybe its the case. What case are you using?

Antec 300 with front and back fans, I usually keep them turned down unless I'm oc'd.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 2, 2010 9:33:06 AM

4.1Ghz with stock cooler is really really awesome :) 

My E7300 at stock clock goes upto 55c at 100% load with stock cooler:( (Still using it)

Well, you're not decreasing its life span by much, as the temps are very much in control.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2010 12:37:48 PM

jj555298 said:
Antec 300 with front and back fans, I usually keep them turned down unless I'm oc'd.

Hmmm... you case is not too fancy but seems like its doing a pretty good job at keeping your components cool. Anyway when I have the time I will tinker with my E8400's and reseat the cooler with new thermal paste. I really like to get them OC's to improve my kids PC experience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2010 1:13:06 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but you may want to double check your temps.

1. What software are you using to check temp?

2. Prime 95 load temps?

3. Have you done the sensor test?

Download RealTemp (if you aren't already using it) and report temps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2010 3:16:50 PM

Woah That is a mighty respectable OC.
Its not that i don't believe you but i think shadow has a point.

If its not to much trouble could you put up a screen shot? i would love to see it for real.

Keep on kicking ass
m
l
May 3, 2010 12:02:47 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Not to rain on your parade, but you may want to double check your temps.

1. What software are you using to check temp?

2. Prime 95 load temps?

3. Have you done the sensor test?

Download RealTemp (if you aren't already using it) and report temps.

I'm currently using realtemp (currently showing 42c 43c) and hwmonitor, I've tested with prime95 a few times in the past. I've also used everest, coretemp, you name it I've probably used it. I'll have to redo prime95 and the sensor test I can't remember the results.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 12:07:59 AM

So, you haven't tested this with Prime 95 @ 4.1Ghz?
m
l
May 3, 2010 12:45:15 AM

Shadow703793 said:
So, you haven't tested this with Prime 95 @ 4.1Ghz?

I tested it with prime a while back, I'm gonna run it for an hour or so and post some screens for anyone curious.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 12:46:48 AM

^ Run P95 for at least 6 hours for best stability.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:17:57 AM

fisshy said:
Woah That is a mighty respectable OC.
Its not that i don't believe you but i think shadow has a point.

If its not to much trouble could you put up a screen shot? i would love to see it for real.

Keep on kicking ass

First SS Idle temps

Here's Realtemp sensor test, not very forgiving with my stock heatsink core max temp was 79c @41.40ghz.

Gaming results are a lot more forgiving, playing bad company 2 for an hour or so only CPU shows 60c max and cores staying below 70c

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 8:39:16 AM

Wow. V. nice, I'd lower the OC a bit though if you're getting 79°C for 100% load (if that's what RealTemp's sensor test does), which is above what Intel specifies as max, which is 72°C IIRC.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 1:47:53 PM

Lmeow said:
Wow. V. nice, I'd lower the OC a bit though if you're getting 79°C for 100% load (if that's what RealTemp's sensor test does), which is above what Intel specifies as max, which is 72°C IIRC.

Yup. Just like I thought. 79C at full load. Also realize that the CPU is throttling to 2760Mhz at this temp.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 4:09:39 PM

Quote:
It all depends on how much voltage your giving her. Of course you failed to mention this MOST important part.

Checking temps during a game is not the proper way to test your temps. Likely they will be MUCH higher during Intel burn test or Prime95.

True. But Intel burn test or Prime95 are not for everyday use. For the ordinary PC user who ventures a bit on OC'ing to get better performance than stock, then his normal usage should be valid testing to gauge how hot his PC will be under normal use.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 4:41:38 PM

^ That is debatable. For example, on a hot day, if I run a rendering(3DS,Maya,Inventor) I can easily get the temps of Prime 95 on a cool day.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 5:37:07 PM

^ Yes, you may. But where does that hot day bring your temps when you run prime95 then?
m
l
May 3, 2010 6:56:48 PM

I realize a burn in will yield higher temps than playing a game, I just added that for a contrast. I don't do anything as intensive as prime95 on my pc ever, so I can afford to go a bit higher with the oc at times.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 9:07:38 PM

randomkid said:
^ Yes, you may. But where does that hot day bring your temps when you run prime95 then?

~7-10C higher than normal prime95 on a cool day.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2010 1:52:06 AM

^Then all the more reason not to run Prime95 or Intel burn test on hot days. But games still can yes?
m
l
May 4, 2010 2:52:05 AM

randomkid said:
^Then all the more reason not to run Prime95 or Intel burn test on hot days. But games still can yes?

That's all was trying to say with the screens, thanks. :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2010 4:19:07 PM

randomkid said:

Games, yes. But renderings, not so much.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 4:51:35 AM

jj555298 said:
That's all was trying to say with the screens, thanks. :) 

OP. You're better off running that CPU at stock. because as it is, it's running slower and HOTTER than a stock E8400.
Also you're pumping 1.36v Vcore @ 2.7ghz when you can run 3ghz at 1.25v.
At 80% load, if you have Cstate or speedstep on your multiplier should be at 9, not 6.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2010 7:03:25 AM

flyin15sec said:
OP. You're better off running that CPU at stock. because as it is, it's running slower and Hotter. multiplier should be at 9.

He has a Good Point. your FSB is killing the CPU's Performance.
Just to see if you cant get it any faster set the FSB to 455 MHz and the Multiplier to 9
That should get you your desired OC and increase speed slightly.

Your voltages should be fine... Just watch NB temps.
Set Ram OC to Auto especially if you are using ddr2

Good LUCK :D 
m
l
May 7, 2010 3:55:50 PM

V nice o/c's :D 

*Speedstep still enabled* Hushhh
m
l
May 8, 2010 12:29:42 AM

flyin15sec said:
OP. You're better off running that CPU at stock. because as it is, it's running slower and HOTTER than a stock E8400.
Also you're pumping 1.36v Vcore @ 2.7ghz when you can run 3ghz at 1.25v.
At 80% load, if you have Cstate or speedstep on your multiplier should be at 9, not 6.

I don't see how it's running slower, speed step is still enabled. When I'm doing something intensive it bumps up to 4ghz. Temps never get over 60c when gaming and I see performance increase up to 30% in some games.
m
l
May 8, 2010 12:34:39 AM

fisshy said:
He has a Good Point. your FSB is killing the CPU's Performance.
Just to see if you cant get it any faster set the FSB to 455 MHz and the Multiplier to 9
That should get you your desired OC and increase speed slightly.

Your voltages should be fine... Just watch NB temps.
Set Ram OC to Auto especially if you are using ddr2

Good LUCK :D 

If I set ram to auto it would fry, all I did was bump up the fsb and set the ram to limit for a 4ghz OC, ram is rated at 800 running at 840 stably. The only way to run it cooler/faster would be a new HSF, or am I missing something here?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 1:38:41 AM

jj555298 said:
I don't see how it's running slower, speed step is still enabled. When I'm doing something intensive it bumps up to 4ghz. Temps never get over 60c when gaming and I see performance increase up to 30% in some games.

Your own screenshot says your CPU is running at 2.7ghz. You got 80% load on 1 core and 60% load on the other, how is that not intensive?

theres only a few reasons for this.

1. as shadow mention, your CPU is throttling because of heat
2. Your mutli is stuck at 6
m
l
May 8, 2010 10:06:10 AM

flyin15sec said:
Your own screenshot says your CPU is running at 2.7ghz. You got 80% load on 1 core and 60% load on the other, how is that not intensive?

theres only a few reasons for this.

1. as shadow mention, your CPU is throttling because of heat
2. Your mutli is stuck at 6

It says 2.7 because the screens were taken after the sensor test same w/prime, because of speedstep/c1e it doesn't reflect full load. During prime95 torture test it maintains full speed . I see your point about the load though I'm going to bring fsb down and do some more testing my vcore/multi when I have the time.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 4:18:48 PM

Good Luck With That^ :D 
m
l
!