Laptop taking forever to connect to a network

theone1223

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Hello, here at work one of our laptop users is having trouble the first boot up of the day when coming into work, the laptop is also connected directly to the network and still for some reason takes for ever to connect.

Upon logging in, the comp freezes when clicking on start or Microsoft exchange. I tried to tell her to wait and let it load a minute and she says it doesn't help. Im not sure where to look here. I turned off the indexing filter and still same issue. any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

do you have some corporate antivirus suite running? it could be causing slow load at boot and then initial network connections too if it's set to scan the local network.

Can you compare the same laptop setup if you have any other users with same make/model that aren't having the issue?

theone1223

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
i just went and looked in the task manager and there's nothing out of the ordinary. also its not just with the network its with the local account as well. theres no corporate antivirus running. Yes we have one user with the same laptop almost experiencing the same issues. but no one else is.

check the drivers for network card and HDD.
Get some registry cleaning program (ccleaner or regcleaner should work) and look at the programs that are running at startup.
also look at Run>msconfig check the boot options and such
basically unless it's a hardware issue, in which case the network card would be at fault, it has to do with software. you'll just have to keep digging

Re-installing the OS should fix things, unless another program then gets installed that causes it again. If it's slow both on the network and a local account, it's not the computer trying to open a network resource.

You may want to run a Malwarebytes and a scan with a second anti0virus program. Norton does not catch everything.

did you check the startup programs?

reformatting the laptop could fix it (if you say you have people with the same laptop and OS and it's working fine for them)
but there's no guaratee the problem won't come back.