Sign in with
Your question

ATIKMDAG stopped responding and has recovered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 5, 2009 7:56:49 PM

Hi!
I bought a brand now pc whit the following components:

ASUS Rampage Formula X48 (bios ver. 0701 )
C2D E8500
2x 2GB Mushkin XP2-8500
Sapphire HD4870 512mb (silent effectivity version- Not toxic)

Segate barracuda 7200.11 500GB

During gameplay in any games (FAR CRY2, CRYSIS, Medal of honor air born...), the game exits and a yellow triangle appears in the notification area. In the text ballon of this triangle is the following text:

ATIKMDAG stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Please help me fix this problem! I`ve try to update drivers (Now I have Catalyst 8.12 installed), but it didn`t help. I`ve try to install the HD4870 hotfix drivers and it still stops the games and shows the triangle with the message.

TNX to everybody!!!

January 6, 2009 2:13:10 AM

If you overclocked, you overclocked too far. I'd either turn down any overclock, or turn up your fan, and make sure your case has good ventilation.
Related resources
January 6, 2009 7:21:05 AM

Dekasav said:
If you overclocked, you overclocked too far. I'd either turn down any overclock, or turn up your fan, and make sure your case has good ventilation.

My card is not overclocked. the clocks are on stock values, eaven the CPU is not overclocked
January 6, 2009 7:23:11 AM

Dekasav said:

I`ve try with different driver versions..... but it is still happening :( 
January 23, 2009 5:49:29 PM

I have a one-year old quad-core system. Quality components, very simple, very stable, good power supply, no excess heat (GPU 37 degrees C), no over-clocking, running Vista 32-bit. The motherboard is an Asus P5K-V. I do not play games. I recently upgraded to a dual-monitor system, which required more than the integrated graphics, so I got the Radeon Sapphire HD4670, another simple mid-level solution that would provide two DVI outputs at any normal resolution. (Somewhat reluctantly, remembering other ATI cards in systems and years past.) I installed the latest stable driver (8.12). Now I am experiencing _daily_ crashes with the atikmdag display driver message. This is highly frustrating. ATI support says to check hardware issues, and attempts to put the blame on any and everything else in the system. For many enthusiasts who tinker with their systems this will result in them thinking "Hmm, I must have done something wrong here." I don't buy it. In my system the only change was the ATI card, so it is the problem. Looks like the tradition of shoddy engineering, incompetent programming and poor customer service is alive and well at ATI/AMD today.
January 23, 2009 8:39:19 PM

Wow.

If you had asked for help, I'd offer some. Trying a couple different drivers helps, and making sure old video drivers were uninstalled helps.

As far as shoddy engineering, I'd say the HD 4670 is one of the best pieces of mid-range engineering we've seen in awhile. Last gen's high end at about 60 watts and <$80, that's quality work.

Incompetent programming.... sounds like you've never coded anything, let alone know the problems faced by programmers.

But hey, you seem to know all the answers, so I won't offer any help.
!