Sign in with
Your question

Help with installing hard disk drives on laptop and windows xp

Last response: in Windows XP
May 17, 2011 7:41:10 PM

Hello,I am in need of some help I have a HP Pavilion DV9000 laptop. my nephew tried to play on it when i was gone and wiped everything off of it. There is nothing on my Laptop now its like new. So i went and bought Microsoft Windows XP to install it on my Laptop and i am getting a message saying ( Setup did not find any hard disk drive installed in your computer. I need help. Windows wont finish installing at all. Can someone help me out. I know nothing about computers and there is nothing on this computer anymore. I have tried to do the boot recovery system thinking i can go back in time but it wont even popup at all. All i get is a Black screen that says setup.
a b D Laptop
May 17, 2011 8:34:44 PM

that's interesting. are you sure your nephew actually formatted the HDD as opposed to frying it completely?
unless you bios does not detect your HDD I can't imagine why the setup would be telling you there's no HDD in the system...

when the computer is booting up, read what it says on the screen. if it's going to fast, use Pause/Break key to pause it (enter to unpause).
Also during boot hit Del/F2/F8/etc (depends on motherboard) to enter your Bios. what does your BIOS say about your HDD? same have built in hardware diagnostics, see if you can run any.

look if there's diagnostic utilities available that you can run from flash drive/CD. you need to make sure HDD is still in working condition.

if laptop still on warranty try to call up HP see if they can help you figure out if HDD is still alive.
m
l
May 17, 2011 9:00:32 PM

I went to the BIOS setup Utility like you said and went to diagnostics to test the hard drive self test and it said no IDE device. Does it sound like he fried my laptop or do you think it is fix able?
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2011 9:53:51 AM

sounds like you need a new hard drive .
when installing a new one make sure you have the battery out of the lappy and no power on .
m
l
a b D Laptop
May 18, 2011 12:19:32 PM

well either HDD is dead or connection to motherboard/power has come undone somewhere.
To fix/check either one you will have to open the laptop up and look at the hardware.
m
l
January 2, 2013 8:45:57 PM

I am also having the same problem, but I am running windows 7 right now. Windows 7 is not compatible with my Christmas present, so I want XP. I know there is a hard drive in my computer, since I am using it right now. How can I convince XP of my true intentions?
m
l
!