Advice on CPU Cooling needed

pixel

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
So I'm building my computer and I got the Phenom II 955 BE, and I'm looking to overclock it, and I have been looking at the Corsair H50 and the CM Hyper 212 Plus. Which is better? I'm looking for something quiet, my budget is about ~$80, I have the Cooler Master CM 690 II Mid Tower case.

Thanks

Solution
You'll have to order the AMD backplate seperately. I had to do that for my Hyper 212 when I switched from AMD to Intel.

The Coolermaster 690 cases are all 8.39 inches wides. That is more than enough for tall tower style cpu heatsinks such as the Noctua. No Problem! :D

Good Luck!
I have an original Coolermaster Hyper 212, an original Thermalright 120, and a newer Thermalright Venomous X. The Hyper 212 is my favorite. I have used it in AMD and Intel systems. In fact it is currently installed in my new Intel Core i7 860 system. Cooling is excellent. It and the Thermalright 120 can still compete and hold their own against newer models.

The Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is the new and improved version of the original 212. The cpu heatsink is an excellent value. If you are in the USA and shop carefully you can usually find it on sale for $29.99.

Quiet is relative. One person's quiet pc is another person's jet fighter at Mach 3. A lot will depend on the fans you choose to install and case configuration.

I chose mine using the Tomshardware article on them. I bought a Zalman CNPS10X Extreme and it is really great. OCed my i5 750 to 3.6ghz and it idles at 25C and max load (LinX - higher than Prime95) is under 60C. It's also extremely quiet, I use it at it's low setting of 1600rpm, but it goes up to about 2500rpm if you want. Plus, it looks great and has a cool blue fan light.

pixel

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
^Thanks for your input, I think though I will stick with the Noctua, I use to have Noctua on my Old rig and I was very happy with the the NH-12 I believe.

A question.. It says that for AM2+/AM3 it requires a backplate? Where do I find this? Is it included in the box or do I have to buy this separately

Also I have the CM 690 II Advanced case, will this fit inside it?

You'll have to order the AMD backplate seperately. I had to do that for my Hyper 212 when I switched from AMD to Intel.

The Coolermaster 690 cases are all 8.39 inches wides. That is more than enough for tall tower style cpu heatsinks such as the Noctua. No Problem! :D

Good Luck!

Solution

pixel

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks for all your help guys.

JohnnyLucky thanks for your help with my power-supply and this. Some of newbies really appreciate all the time you people put into helping us. I will post back if I have any problems once I get my parts and start building.