Swapping a motherboard

groston

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
All,

On of my computers has a Gigabyte P35-DS3P motherboard. I strongly suspect that some hardware component is not functioning nominally as the USB ports on the computer behave weirdly (and seem to be getting worse). At this point in time, I think that swapping the motherboard may be a reasonable option, however, I do not want to reinstall all of the software. Obviously, if I were to replace the existing mobo with an identical one, this would not be an issue. However, this mobo is no longer available.

Question: If I were to get another mobo which is similar, i.e., same chipset, etc., what are the odds that I could drop it in without having to reinstall the OS, applications, etc?

Thank you.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
If you replace it with a motherboard of the same or similar chipset, then it is possible. I've done it. You'd have to install the new motherboard and try to boot windows in safe mode. If this works, then you can uninstall the old motherboard drivers. Then reboot and install the new ones. But this isn't guaranteed to work. You may not be able to boot with the new motherboard, even in safe mode.

As long as the motherboard has a the same chipset or even one that's close. There shouldn't be a problem. You first boot may act up but you'll boot into windows and have to install any new drivers not detected by the system.

zehpavora

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

I forgot how (you can Google it), but you can change motherboards without reinstalling the OS. I did it before, and you only uninstall some hardware controller on the XP, motherboard-like stuff, very easy.

I recommend it, so you can get a better MoBo if you want.