Evga X58 and i7 920 temperature

dkijc

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hi =)

I always had a quirk when it came to installing a HSF. I purchased the i7 920 and EVGA x58 mobo and installed Thermalright UE.

The motherboard temperature reader.... does it switch between celsius and fahrenheit when the window is loading?

because it will suddenly read around 30s then up to 90s... which would REALLY scare me if it was celsius. (please don't tell me it is. haha..ha..ha)

My scenario:

My computer would blue screen right when the window xp logo(black background with blue 'status' bar moving across the bottom) started to appear. It did that for quite a few times so I figured I didn't install the HSF, properly. When I lifted up my HSF, the paste was in circle but the middle of heatspread barely had thermal paste applied to it.
But I didn't have the paste with me that time so I re-installed the HSF making sure I was doing it properly this time and suddenly it actually started to go to my desktop screen!

I applied silver 5 (antec version) in a straight line through the middle of the heatspread.

now, since window actually loaded... god knows why it didn't load. I looked at the temperatures through 'E-Leet', 'RealTemp' and the motherboard temperature reader and they were all different!
- E-leet was giving me around middle 40's on idle
- RealTemp was giving me around 36's on idle / 55-60 on load
- Motherboard reader was giving me 26's on idle /45-50 on load (<- this looks like what it SHOULD be with my cooler but if this is the wrong reading, then I would assume I didn't install or put enough paste on the heatspreader..)

There was always this ten degrees difference!

I'm not really sure what to go by, at this moment. The only thing I CAN do is to just apply a bit more of paste on the middle of the heatspread... =(

1. Do you think I might have damaged the cpu (since there are many times it through the bluescreen? I'm assuming when the temperature is high it gives me a bluescreen)?

2. Do you think if i can apply a bit more of the paste, it will do better (temperature wise, or even the bluescreen issue)?

3. Which reading do you think it's the most accurate?

I'm so sorry for the long post and questions, and I wasn't really sure where to ask.
But, I'm kind of desperate as this is a brand spanking new system!

Thank you so much!!

They are just sensors. They register changes. They do not send little packets of numbers to your hardware.

Whatever software you use to figure out the temperature is interpreting the raw data your sensors give it. That is why there is always 10 degrees difference. You should believe Real Temp first.

If your CPU was really 26 degrees Celsius, that would be the temperature of your room. Do you really think it's that cool?

Clean your CPU and heatsink well with a coffee filter (lint free), then follow these instructions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_quad_wcap.pdf

MORE PASTE IS NEVER BETTER.

No really. I never met a newbie builder that used too little paste. Every first timer uses too much. Period. Exclamation point.

P.S. Blue screens are usually a memory problem. :p

Did you use tri-channel memory with a rating below 1.65V?

dkijc

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Hi =)
Thank you for the great reply.

Yes. I did follow exactly the artic silver instruction with just one line straight through the heatspread.
I actually used the 2 step artic silver cleaning solutions from my work (got it from our hardware guy haha)

1. Memory is fine, I think. I ran memtest and it was fine. (triple channel Corsair 6-6-6-19.. I think those are the timings. 3 X 1G)
2. I have to set my system to record the dump files for me to see more than a split second it shows when it bluescreens so I can tell you guys exactly what it says.

3. I totally forgot but my hardware guy reminded me that if I didn't do a fresh install on the harddrive, window will mercilessly show blue screen when you change the mobo. (I hope that is the case.. not the heatsink or the cpu.... because I ruined my first build because of improper HSF installation.. so I have my weariness when it comes to cpu and HSF :(

After cleaning out the heatspread, i reinstalled the HSF SO, my next step is to go into dos mode and delete the c:windows and c:programfiles so I can save my other files haha I have many stuff I saved in my previous hard drive.

I'll update you with the result!

Thanks, again!