How much can i overclock my cpu (safely)

blaw018

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
hello everyone. my computer consists of- asus m4n785td-evo MB, amd phenomII x4 am3 945 95w denab cpu 3.0 ghz, 4 gigs 1333 mem, 3 seagate hard drives totalling 2 tera's, 850w power supply, xfx gts 250 oc'd to 771(planing on getting gtx 470) thermaltake m9 black ed case(230mm fan on side and top, 140mm fan front and back). how much can i oc cpu safely? im using amd overdrive to oc now. please no guessing, i'd rather not have a cpu meltdown.thanks for any help.

acer0169

Distinguished
Dude learn to format your posts please. It's a bloody nightmare to read that through (probably why no one has responded yet?).

Anyway.. I've seen the 945 running at 4GHz so it can safely get to that point with the correct voltage settings. It completely depends on your cooling and voltage settings though to get a stable overclock at anything around 300MHz over stock speeds.

You need to know what you're doing to reach 3.3+ GHz normally. I'd also say stay away from overdrive and overclock properly in the bios - I've heard so many issues come about from using overdrive.