Sims 1 & 2 and SP2

Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed SP2. Now
it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now it won't even
install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but same problem.
Any patches or ideas for this problem?
Thanks!
16 answers Last reply
More about sims

    LMO wrote:
    > Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed
    > SP2. Now it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now
    > it won't even install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but
    > same problem.
    > Any patches or ideas for this problem?
    > Thanks!

    The only suggestion I have is to remove SP2. That is the update from Hell.
    I installed it last summer and it fried my motherboard! The computer
    technician told me he'd been swamped with people with computer problems
    after installation of that malicious piece of software. If you are worried
    about security while on the web, just stop using Microsoft products when you
    are online. Download Mozilla Firefox for your browser and Thunderbird for
    your email and groups. Both install very easily and automatically import
    all of your address book information and favorites. Make them the default
    browser and email client and stop using IE and OE. I did that months ago
    and haven't had a single instance of spyware, trojan or virus. The
    interface is almost identical to what you are used to, but those sorts of
    baddies just aren't written for mozilla software.

    The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
    reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.

    Jeanie

    <snip>

    > The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
    > reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.

    My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold letters
    was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the hell
    was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and I
    have yet to install it.

    "black market halo" <voodoo@yourplace.org> wrote in message

    > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    >> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
    >> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
    >>
    > My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold letters
    > was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the hell
    > was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and I
    > have yet to install it.

    I have SP2 installed and have no trouble playing Sims 1 or 2. Installing SP2
    really is a good idea if for no other reason than that Microsoft will soon
    (or perhaps already have - I haven't looked lately) withdraw support for
    non-SP2 versions of XP from Windows Update. So if you don't install SP2 then
    pretty soon you won't be able to get any updates and fixes.

    I will never put SP2 back on my machine. If my XP becomes unviable I shall
    more safer as the hackers will follow the latest version of Windows and
    cease to make new virii for older XP versions leaving only recognised and
    curable problems out there.

    MM

    "Gryfallon" <doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote in message
    > "black market halo" <voodoo@yourplace.org> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > >> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
    > >> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
    > >>
    > > My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold
    letters
    > > was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the
    hell
    > > was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and
    > > have yet to install it.
    >
    > I have SP2 installed and have no trouble playing Sims 1 or 2. Installing
    SP2
    > really is a good idea if for no other reason than that Microsoft will soon
    > (or perhaps already have - I haven't looked lately) withdraw support for
    > non-SP2 versions of XP from Windows Update. So if you don't install SP2
    then
    > pretty soon you won't be able to get any updates and fixes.

    "Gryfallon" <doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote in message
    > "black market halo" <voodoo@yourplace.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
    >>> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
    >>>
    >> My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold
    >> letters
    >> was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the hell
    >> was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and I
    >> have yet to install it.
    >
    > I have SP2 installed and have no trouble playing Sims 1 or 2.

    I'm another who has had zero problems with SP2. It may not work for
    everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. I just know my
    computer is going to blow up as soon as I send this message, but to date
    I've had absolutely no problems with it.

    > Heh, I have about 3 real addresses and one of them has a spamblocker
    > attached. My main isp mail is virus protected, as is the one from my site
    > :) Anything else that gets thru gets blocked.

    I only put my email address in my web page as a graphic now. If people don;t
    like it, tough.
    Might be different if I had a high-usage site though.

    Even with a basic baffle in the webaddy the address spawned masses of spam.
    Not any more. >8^)

    Granny.

    Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
    spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up. Mainly the only
    ones I get from my site are jerks wanting to tell me about some search
    engine or webspace, lol. Funny thing is that they found my site thru
    whatever search engine, so others should not have a problem finding it too,
    lol.

    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Bluegenie2 wrote:
    > "Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    > > I only put my email address in my web page as a graphic now. If people
    > > don;t like it, tough.
    > > Might be different if I had a high-usage site though.
    >
    > Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
    > spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up.

    I think Granny means just the image, no link, so people would have to
    manually open their mailer program and type the address in, hence why some
    lazy folks wouldn't like it.

    > Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
    > spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up.

    No-no-no... I have no links. I meant that I put the email address in a
    graphic block, as a little picture and if people want to contact me that
    can jolly-well write it down with a thing called a 'biro' then use it on
    their computer.
    The actual email address is nowhere at all on the site.

    Mainly the only
    > ones I get from my site are jerks wanting to tell me about some search
    > engine or webspace, lol. Funny thing is that they found my site thru
    > whatever search engine, so others should not have a problem finding it
    > too,
    > lol.

    Oh, it makes you sick, doesn't it? My server insists on one email addy being
    used for the web-site name. Mine is cherryjam. I just delete anything to
    cherryjam from the server. Including anything that starts with a cha, che,
    chi, cho or chu. It used to be anything that contained 'ch' but wretched
    husband insisted on an address that gave our surname which does have a 'ch'
    in it, so I had to be more selective. 8(

    The names of dictionary attacks that started with 'cherry' were
    mind-boggling. 8^O
    Or perhaps not.

    Granny.

    >> Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
    >> spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up.
    >
    > No-no-no... I have no links. I meant that I put the email address in a
    > graphic block, as a little picture and if people want to contact me that
    > can jolly-well write it down with a thing called a 'biro' then use it on
    > their computer.
    > The actual email address is nowhere at all on the site.
    >
    > Mainly the only
    >> ones I get from my site are jerks wanting to tell me about some search
    >> engine or webspace, lol. Funny thing is that they found my site thru
    >> whatever search engine, so others should not have a problem finding it
    >> too,
    >> lol.
    >

    > Oh, it makes you sick, doesn't it? My server insists on one email addy
    > being used for the web-site name. Mine is cherryjam. I just delete
    > anything to cherryjam from the server. Including anything that starts with
    > a cha, che, chi, cho or chu. It used to be anything that contained 'ch'
    > but wretched husband insisted on an address that gave our surname which
    > does have a 'ch' in it, so I had to be more selective. 8(
    >
    > The names of dictionary attacks that started with 'cherry' were
    > mind-boggling. 8^O
    > Or perhaps not.
    >
    > Granny.

    Granny. I am with the same company and I use Mailwasher 2 to separate out
    all mail coming via the ISP's
    given address as that address gets dictionary attacked. The free version
    lets you check one mailbox only and that's the one I gave it.

    I never use the official one at all for family or business etc. so can clean
    up all the mail coming to the official one at one go. It gets wiped off at
    the server end unless I have marked it as a friend. Then I go into OE and
    check the rest.

    I can guess the types of mail you get for Cherry though! Used throughout
    history!

    Skeatsan''co ;))

    "Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:lB7Kd.820$>> The names of dictionary attacks that started with 'cherry'
    were
    >> mind-boggling. 8^O
    >> Or perhaps not.
    >>
    >> Granny.
    >>

    > Granny. I am with the same company

    BlueBlunder? Oh, bad luck... Though to be fair, apart from occasion
    slowdowns on my web side I haven't got any gripes. I 'expect' things to
    break down and so have my expectations fulfilled quite often.

    > I never use the official one at all for family or business etc. so can
    > clean up all the mail coming to the official one at one go. It gets wiped
    > off at the server end unless I have marked it as a friend. Then I go into
    > OE and check the rest.

    I will stick with this as only about three-four bits of spam get throughper
    session My one gripe is there isn't a if-not type command.
    I couldn;t get on with Firefox's mail program. The news format put me right
    off.

    > I can guess the types of mail you get for Cherry though! Used throughout
    > history!

    My other bad mistake was using damsonjam once. So many people had a ban on
    MS or ms that a lot of my post was being trashed without opening. 8(

    It is getting crazy thpough, isn;t it? I mean I am bristling with virus
    checkers and ad washers and the like. Each prog seems to have it's own
    little version tucked away and checking like mad. Firewalls, virus
    checkers... Mind.... haven't let in anything nasty at all since I had this
    new machine (about 6-7 months now), so something is working okay. 8)))

    I am still sitting on my new power supply. The sight of a) the collection of
    connectors and cables and b) the list of option is the little book made me
    grow faint.

    Granny - timorous at times.

    > I couldn;t get on with Firefox's mail program. The news format put me right
    > off.

    The default looks hideous, doesn't it? It is possible to turn that off,
    but I can't remember exactly how I did it since it took me a few tries,
    and I can't remember exactly which was successful. I think that it was
    the Mnenhy extension that did it in the end.

    Good luck!

    CK

    "LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
    > Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed SP2.
    Now
    > it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now it won't even
    > install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but same problem.
    > Any patches or ideas for this problem?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > uninstall sp2 some programs won't work.
    i had the same problem i just now sp1 and the sims1 and the sims 2 works
    fine.

    > It is getting crazy thpough, isn;t it? I mean I am bristling with virus
    > checkers and ad washers and the like. Each prog seems to have it's own
    > little version tucked away and checking like mad. Firewalls, virus
    > checkers... Mind.... haven't let in anything nasty at all since I had
    > this new machine (about 6-7 months now), so something is working okay.
    > 8)))

    You and me both.
    I get more paranoid by the day. I've got about six utilities which all are
    in the Startup folder.
    I got worried by my new machine constantly working away, thought it was a
    trojan stealing all my files via my open broadband connection and found that
    it was the fault of Microsoft's own ctfmon.exe for MS Office. Also,
    Microsoft's new Antispyware beta kept closing down my Sims to the toolbar so
    that it could start up! They don't tell you that you can turn these things
    off or reschedule them.

    > I am still sitting on my new power supply. The sight of a) the collection
    > of connectors and cables and b) the list of option is the little book made
    > me grow faint.

    Ditto - My own new machine is equipped for wireless networking and I bought
    a connection set for my old one, fully intending to connect them but after
    six months it is still in its packing!

    > Granny - timorous at times.

    Skeatsan''co
    (It pays to be timorous and paranoid) ;))

    >> I am still sitting on my new power supply. The sight of a) the collection
    >> of connectors and cables and b) the list of option is the little book
    >> made me grow faint.
    >
    > Ditto - My own new machine is equipped for wireless networking and I
    > bought a connection set for my old one, fully intending to connect them
    > but after six months it is still in its packing!

    Sell it on Ebay.

    Rush of blood to my head this evening, trying to get the Photo Thing option
    in SimPe to work.
    Uninstalled the whole slap-bang caboodle... third time..
    reboot.. Defrag.. DO IT!
    reboot. Where's that nice little Easy Clean prog?? Installllll..
    I will get rid of the last traces of Sims and Simpe if I explode in the...
    DO IT!
    Yes, ALL of them.
    Reboot. ha! defrag.. DO IT!
    Ha! reboot.
    Easy clean again... lookit.. lookit... kill them too... AND those. and
    reboot... (old habits die hard)

    Right. I will try again. If that SimPe shows up with a list of old setting I
    think i will cure the problem with a sledge hammer.

    >> Granny - timorous at times.

    Until something goes pop.

    > Skeatsan''co
    > (It pays to be timorous and paranoid) ;))

    Oh, especially paranoid. And where mountains or snowy slopes, holes in the
    ground of horrid fair rides that go up and down are concerned, it pays to be
    a bundle of nerves as well.

    Granny.

    I have window XP sp2 installed, along with the Sims 2, have not had a
    problem (YET)

    > LMO wrote:
    >> Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed
    >> SP2. Now it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now
    >> it won't even install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but
    >> same problem.
    >> Any patches or ideas for this problem?
    >> Thanks!
    >
    > The only suggestion I have is to remove SP2. That is the update from
    > Hell.
    > I installed it last summer and it fried my motherboard! The computer
    > technician told me he'd been swamped with people with computer problems
    > after installation of that malicious piece of software. If you are
    > worried
    > about security while on the web, just stop using Microsoft products when
    > you
    > are online. Download Mozilla Firefox for your browser and Thunderbird for
    > your email and groups. Both install very easily and automatically import
    > all of your address book information and favorites. Make them the default
    > browser and email client and stop using IE and OE. I did that months ago
    > and haven't had a single instance of spyware, trojan or virus. The
    > interface is almost identical to what you are used to, but those sorts of
    > baddies just aren't written for mozilla software.
    >
    > The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
    > reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
    >
    > Jeanie

Sims Games Windows XP Video Games