Sims 1 & 2 and SP2

Last response: in Video Games
January 24, 2005 10:15:45 PM

Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed SP2. Now
it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now it won't even
install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but same problem.
Any patches or ideas for this problem?
Thanks!

More about : sims sp2

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:15:46 PM

LMO wrote:
> Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed
> SP2. Now it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now
> it won't even install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but
> same problem.
> Any patches or ideas for this problem?
> Thanks!

The only suggestion I have is to remove SP2. That is the update from Hell.
I installed it last summer and it fried my motherboard! The computer
technician told me he'd been swamped with people with computer problems
after installation of that malicious piece of software. If you are worried
about security while on the web, just stop using Microsoft products when you
are online. Download Mozilla Firefox for your browser and Thunderbird for
your email and groups. Both install very easily and automatically import
all of your address book information and favorites. Make them the default
browser and email client and stop using IE and OE. I did that months ago
and haven't had a single instance of spyware, trojan or virus. The
interface is almost identical to what you are used to, but those sorts of
baddies just aren't written for mozilla software.

The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.

Jeanie
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:15:47 PM

<snip>

> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.

My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold letters
was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the hell
was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and I
have yet to install it.
January 25, 2005 12:43:27 AM

"black market halo" <voodoo@yourplace.org> wrote in message

> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
>> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
>>
> My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold letters
> was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the hell
> was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and I
> have yet to install it.

I have SP2 installed and have no trouble playing Sims 1 or 2. Installing SP2
really is a good idea if for no other reason than that Microsoft will soon
(or perhaps already have - I haven't looked lately) withdraw support for
non-SP2 versions of XP from Windows Update. So if you don't install SP2 then
pretty soon you won't be able to get any updates and fixes.
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:12:47 AM

I will never put SP2 back on my machine. If my XP becomes unviable I shall
more safer as the hackers will follow the latest version of Windows and
cease to make new virii for older XP versions leaving only recognised and
curable problems out there.

MM

"Gryfallon" <doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote in message
> "black market halo" <voodoo@yourplace.org> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
> > <snip>
> >
> >> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
> >> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
> >>
> > My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold
letters
> > was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the
hell
> > was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and
> > have yet to install it.
>
> I have SP2 installed and have no trouble playing Sims 1 or 2. Installing
SP2
> really is a good idea if for no other reason than that Microsoft will soon
> (or perhaps already have - I haven't looked lately) withdraw support for
> non-SP2 versions of XP from Windows Update. So if you don't install SP2
then
> pretty soon you won't be able to get any updates and fixes.

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:04:25 PM

"Gryfallon" <doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote in message
> "black market halo" <voodoo@yourplace.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>>
>>> The only way I could completely get rid of SP2 was to reformat and
>>> reinstall, immediately disabling the automatice updates for Windows.
>>>
>> My bro provided me with a copy of SP2. Written on it with big bold
>> letters
>> was, "INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK". I called him, and asked, "what the hell
>> was up with that"? Needless to say, his answers were not promising, and I
>> have yet to install it.
>
> I have SP2 installed and have no trouble playing Sims 1 or 2.

I'm another who has had zero problems with SP2. It may not work for
everyone, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for anyone. I just know my
computer is going to blow up as soon as I send this message, but to date
I've had absolutely no problems with it.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:10:57 PM

> Heh, I have about 3 real addresses and one of them has a spamblocker
> attached. My main isp mail is virus protected, as is the one from my site
> :)  Anything else that gets thru gets blocked.

I only put my email address in my web page as a graphic now. If people don;t
like it, tough.
Might be different if I had a high-usage site though.

Even with a basic baffle in the webaddy the address spawned masses of spam.
Not any more. >8^)

Granny.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 1:10:58 PM

Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up. Mainly the only
ones I get from my site are jerks wanting to tell me about some search
engine or webspace, lol. Funny thing is that they found my site thru
whatever search engine, so others should not have a problem finding it too,
lol.

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > Heh, I have about 3 real addresses and one of them has a spamblocker
> > attached. My main isp mail is virus protected, as is the one from my
site
> > :)  Anything else that gets thru gets blocked.
> >

> I only put my email address in my web page as a graphic now. If people
don;t
> like it, tough.
> Might be different if I had a high-usage site though.
>
> Even with a basic baffle in the webaddy the address spawned masses of
spam.
> Not any more. >8^)
>
> Granny.

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 3:16:10 PM

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Bluegenie2 wrote:
> "Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > I only put my email address in my web page as a graphic now. If people
> > don;t like it, tough.
> > Might be different if I had a high-usage site though.
>
> Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
> spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up.

I think Granny means just the image, no link, so people would have to
manually open their mailer program and type the address in, hence why some
lazy folks wouldn't like it.

January 27, 2005 11:33:29 AM

> Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
> spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up.

No-no-no... I have no links. I meant that I put the email address in a
graphic block, as a little picture and if people want to contact me that
can jolly-well write it down with a thing called a 'biro' then use it on
their computer.
The actual email address is nowhere at all on the site.

Mainly the only
> ones I get from my site are jerks wanting to tell me about some search
> engine or webspace, lol. Funny thing is that they found my site thru
> whatever search engine, so others should not have a problem finding it
> too,
> lol.

Oh, it makes you sick, doesn't it? My server insists on one email addy being
used for the web-site name. Mine is cherryjam. I just delete anything to
cherryjam from the server. Including anything that starts with a cha, che,
chi, cho or chu. It used to be anything that contained 'ch' but wretched
husband insisted on an address that gave our surname which does have a 'ch'
in it, so I had to be more selective. 8(

The names of dictionary attacks that started with 'cherry' were
mind-boggling. 8^O
Or perhaps not.

Granny.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 6:16:33 PM

>> Even with a graphic, the link still points to your email address, so
>> spanners (or whatever they are called) still pick it up.
>
> No-no-no... I have no links. I meant that I put the email address in a
> graphic block, as a little picture and if people want to contact me that
> can jolly-well write it down with a thing called a 'biro' then use it on
> their computer.
> The actual email address is nowhere at all on the site.
>
> Mainly the only
>> ones I get from my site are jerks wanting to tell me about some search
>> engine or webspace, lol. Funny thing is that they found my site thru
>> whatever search engine, so others should not have a problem finding it
>> too,
>> lol.
>

> Oh, it makes you sick, doesn't it? My server insists on one email addy
> being used for the web-site name. Mine is cherryjam. I just delete
> anything to cherryjam from the server. Including anything that starts with
> a cha, che, chi, cho or chu. It used to be anything that contained 'ch'
> but wretched husband insisted on an address that gave our surname which
> does have a 'ch' in it, so I had to be more selective. 8(
>
> The names of dictionary attacks that started with 'cherry' were
> mind-boggling. 8^O
> Or perhaps not.
>
> Granny.

Granny. I am with the same company and I use Mailwasher 2 to separate out
all mail coming via the ISP's
given address as that address gets dictionary attacked. The free version
lets you check one mailbox only and that's the one I gave it.

I never use the official one at all for family or business etc. so can clean
up all the mail coming to the official one at one go. It gets wiped off at
the server end unless I have marked it as a friend. Then I go into OE and
check the rest.

I can guess the types of mail you get for Cherry though! Used throughout
history!

Skeatsan''co ;) )
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:37:52 PM

"Skeatsan''co" <overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote in message
news:lB7Kd.820$>> The names of dictionary attacks that started with 'cherry'
were
>> mind-boggling. 8^O
>> Or perhaps not.
>>
>> Granny.
>>

> Granny. I am with the same company

BlueBlunder? Oh, bad luck... Though to be fair, apart from occasion
slowdowns on my web side I haven't got any gripes. I 'expect' things to
break down and so have my expectations fulfilled quite often.

> I never use the official one at all for family or business etc. so can
> clean up all the mail coming to the official one at one go. It gets wiped
> off at the server end unless I have marked it as a friend. Then I go into
> OE and check the rest.

I will stick with this as only about three-four bits of spam get throughper
session My one gripe is there isn't a if-not type command.
I couldn;t get on with Firefox's mail program. The news format put me right
off.

> I can guess the types of mail you get for Cherry though! Used throughout
> history!

My other bad mistake was using damsonjam once. So many people had a ban on
MS or ms that a lot of my post was being trashed without opening. 8(

It is getting crazy thpough, isn;t it? I mean I am bristling with virus
checkers and ad washers and the like. Each prog seems to have it's own
little version tucked away and checking like mad. Firewalls, virus
checkers... Mind.... haven't let in anything nasty at all since I had this
new machine (about 6-7 months now), so something is working okay. 8)))

I am still sitting on my new power supply. The sight of a) the collection of
connectors and cables and b) the list of option is the little book made me
grow faint.

Granny - timorous at times.
January 27, 2005 10:45:34 PM

> I couldn;t get on with Firefox's mail program. The news format put me right
> off.

The default looks hideous, doesn't it? It is possible to turn that off,
but I can't remember exactly how I did it since it took me a few tries,
and I can't remember exactly which was successful. I think that it was
the Mnenhy extension that did it in the end.

Good luck!

CK
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:55:21 PM

"LMO" <lmo01nospam@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi all. I was playing Sims2 fine on my XP system, until I installed SP2.
Now
> it won't play. I uninstalled it to try a re-install, but now it won't even
> install. I next tried to install The Sims, too, but same problem.
> Any patches or ideas for this problem?
> Thanks!
>
> uninstall sp2 some programs won't work.
i had the same problem i just now sp1 and the sims1 and the sims 2 works
fine.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:59:42 PM

> It is getting crazy thpough, isn;t it? I mean I am bristling with virus
> checkers and ad washers and the like. Each prog seems to have it's own
> little version tucked away and checking like mad. Firewalls, virus
> checkers... Mind.... haven't let in anything nasty at all since I had
> this new machine (about 6-7 months now), so something is working okay.
> 8)))

You and me both.
I get more paranoid by the day. I've got about six utilities which all are
in the Startup folder.
I got worried by my new machine constantly working away, thought it was a
trojan stealing all my files via my open broadband connection and found that
it was the fault of Microsoft's own ctfmon.exe for MS Office. Also,
Microsoft's new Antispyware beta kept closing down my Sims to the toolbar so
that it could start up! They don't tell you that you can turn these things
off or reschedule them.

> I am still sitting on my new power supply. The sight of a) the collection
> of connectors and cables and b) the list of option is the little book made
> me grow faint.

Ditto - My own new machine is equipped for wireless networking and I bought
a connection set for my old one, fully intending to connect them but after
six months it is still in its packing!

> Granny - timorous at times.

Skeatsan''co
(It pays to be timorous and paranoid) ;) )
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:28:43 PM

>> I am still sitting on my new power supply. The sight of a) the collection
>> of connectors and cables and b) the list of option is the little book
>> made me grow faint.
>
> Ditto - My own new machine is equipped for wireless networking and I
> bought a connection set for my old one, fully intending to connect them
> but after six months it is still in its packing!

Sell it on Ebay.

Rush of blood to my head this evening, trying to get the Photo Thing option
in SimPe to work.
Uninstalled the whole slap-bang caboodle... third time..
reboot.. Defrag.. DO IT!
reboot. Where's that nice little Easy Clean prog?? Installllll..
I will get rid of the last traces of Sims and Simpe if I explode in the...
DO IT!
Yes, ALL of them.
Reboot. ha! defrag.. DO IT!
Ha! reboot.
Easy clean again... lookit.. lookit... kill them too... AND those. and
reboot... (old habits die hard)

Right. I will try again. If that SimPe shows up with a list of old setting I
think i will cure the problem with a sledge hammer.

>> Granny - timorous at times.

Until something goes pop.

> Skeatsan''co
> (It pays to be timorous and paranoid) ;) )

Oh, especially paranoid. And where mountains or snowy slopes, holes in the
ground of horrid fair rides that go up and down are concerned, it pays to be
a bundle of nerves as well.

Granny.
January 29, 2005 7:46:35 AM

I have window XP sp2 installed, along with the Sims 2, have not had a
problem (YET)

!