GA-EP45-UD3R

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I'm having the worst luck with my new build. My most recent problem is that I've discovered my motherboard (on the second one now) is not reading my E8500 CPU properly. It set things to 8.5x when it should be on 9.5x. Increase this at all will not allow Windows to load. I tried to compensate but even so much as a 1mhz clock increase and it still won't load. I've also noticed that most of my 6 phase led indicator lights are showing up yellow or red. The first two are green. The next one is yellow/orange and the rest are red. What does this mean? Once windows loads all lights go out.

I'm having the worst luck with my new build. My most recent problem is that I've discovered my motherboard (on the second one now) is not reading my E8500 CPU properly. It set things to 8.5x when it should be on 9.5x. Increase this at all will not allow Windows to load.
Did the first one detect it properly? Does CPU-Z or other utilities detect it as an E8500?

The behavior of Phase LED is normal.

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I never got to install the first mobo. I purchased a new mobo from Newegg and got one that was previously opened and missing parts. It went straight back.

CPUZ detects it as an E8500. Also, even though on the initial drop and load the motherboard set the multiplier at 8.5x, when I go into BIOS and tell it to load optimized defaults it sets the multiplier back up to 9.5x. Still won't load at anything other than 8.5x 333mhz. I tried it at 9x multiplier and it loads some of the time.. less than half I'd say.

Without testing them, it's difficult to determine what component is defective. You didn't list the rest of your system, but other components could also affect it. Setting the multiplier to 9.5x definitely shouldn't cause issues. At 8.5x, is the system stable?

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
8.5x it's totally stable and runs great. Benchmarks are all normal and prime95 stress test passed. Temps are great.

I've already tried updating the BIOS, but thanks for the suggestion. It has F8, which is the newest.

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I got it from Newegg. I was hoping there was an easier way to figure out what was wrong without starting to replace stuff but I figured that's what it was going to boil down to. I've bought a new PSU, CPU, MOBO and RAM to test things out and when I figure out what's wrong I'll send the rest back. Pretty sure at least the PSU has issues because it's noisier than it should be and accounts for this problem as well as a couple other issues I've been having.

flyer_11

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Have you tried to disable EIST in the BIOS? Downloading the multiplier is just a part of Intel's energy saving program. It should go to 9.5 when it's needed. I have the E8400 and it stays at a 6x until it's loaded and then snaps to 9x immediately.

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I already tried disabling EIST and C1E. I also never installed the extra software because I know that it's been known to cause problems. Regardless of the energy saving feature, the BIOS set multiplier is the highest it will go when maxed. Which means if the BIOS is set at 8.5x it's not going to go up to 9.5x even when under 100% load. My problem is not that CPUZ (or other such program) is showing a lower multiplier. my problem is that Windows will not load unless I'm down clocking by lowering the multiplier in BIOS. Thanks for the help but I think you might have misread my problem.

CPU voltage was auto set to 1.25v. I have also tried manually setting it to 1.225v. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Replacement parts are here. I'll start fiddling around in the next couple days when I don't feel so zapped from work.

When increasing the multiplier, you may need to increase the cpu voltage, not decrease it. You should be able to go up to ~1.34V without any risk. The point of comparing the bios with cpuz is to compare the native settings with actual settings.

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
The default multiplier on the CPU is 9.5x and the default voltage is 1.225v. If I have to up the voltage or lower the multiplier just to get the PC to work then something is busted. There's no reason it shouldn't run at default specs.

I have ruled out PSU and RAM as a cause. I guess there's something wrong with the mobo or CPU. Deal with the rest on Sun.

angelicvoices

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Okay this has to be the strangest thing I've encountered to date. The problem ended up being some sort of incompatibility between the drivers for my PCI wireless card and the GA-EP45-UD3R mobo. This is what I did..

The first time time I installed Windows the mobo misdetected my CPU and set it at 8.5x. I didn't notice this until Windows was fully installed and all my drivers were installed. At this point, setting the processor back up to 9.5x resulted in Windows not loading. This was all described before in the original post.

I swapped out the mobo thinking this was the problem. This time, I set the multplier properly before ever installing Windows. Windows installed properly and booted quickly, with the default 9.5x multiplier. Great, I thought. It was a bad mobo. Well my next step was to install the drivers for my wireless card. Every time I tried to install the drivers Windows totally locked up and I had to crash the PC. Three times over .. Windows loads great, try to install drivers, total lock up. I had a bit of an epiphany and went back into BIOS and set the multiplier back down to 8.5x and tried to install the drivers. They installed perfectly, and Windows came right up after reboot. Shut down, set the multiplier back up to 9.5x and Windows refuses to load again. I tried safe mode, where networking is disabled, and it loads fine. The problem is definitely the card.

Why downclocking makes thing work I have no idea. Also the card works fine as it was pulled from a working machine. First drivers tried were the newest but I also tried older drivers. Same thing happened. This is all in XP btw. I have yet to try Vista but I can't be bothered right now. Strangest thing..