Sign in with
Your question

Which one is better?

Last response: in CPUs
March 7, 2009 10:29:29 AM

Hi Mates,

I'm going to buy a laptop. They both are equal and have the same features. The only main difference is the CPU. which one would you recommend?

- Processor - VIA C7-M 1.2GHz

- Intel® Atom N270 1.6GHz, 533MHz

Cheers

More about : question

March 7, 2009 10:59:33 AM

You mean a netbook. I wouldn't take a VIA chip for free.
March 7, 2009 11:10:06 AM

Yeah, I mean notebook. Can you please explain a bit more, why?
Related resources
March 7, 2009 11:27:23 AM

VIA is the bastard step-child of the CPU industry for a reason, Sloppy machine code, non-standard implementation of standard processes, and no innovation combine to make VIA chips perfect CPUs to run in a ROM based car computer but little else.

They actually make full notebooks, (built-in DVD, expandable memory, 2.5" drive), based on these chips?
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2009 12:42:06 PM

If you can wait a few months, TSMC is making Atom SOCs (system on a chip) for Intel. Those should draw much less power than the current offerings, and hence much longer battery life.
March 7, 2009 1:31:38 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
If you can wait a few months, TSMC is making Atom SOCs (system on a chip) for Intel. Those should draw much less power than the current offerings, and hence much longer battery life.

Thanks mate; although, it sounds nice but since it's going to be a new technology then I suppose the price will be quite dear. Am I right? While I'm only willing to pay £200 on top. Please correct me if I'm worng.

Frankly, I do have a Sony Vaio laptop which I paid more than £2000 for; however, it's too big (17in) and I'm looking for something so small and cheap.

Cheers
March 7, 2009 1:35:38 PM

Anyway fazers_on_stun, do you agree with MISRy?
!