What to do when 1 CPU fan fails but 2nd is OK

TitusPullo

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hi, I have a Vigor Monsoon LT III CPU cooler, which is two 120mm fans on either side of a massive heat sink.

The rear-facing fan stopped turning, it must be out of oil or something. When I move it with my finger, it spins slowly, as if something is gunking up the inside.

When powered the rear fan won't move, triggering a CPU fan failure warning from my motherboard sensor.

Now I can still run the PC just fine with 1 dead fan, right now idle CPU temp is 30-33C, but I had to drop all my overclocks.

What do I do to replace the fan? It's connected to the front-facing and functional fan by the same 4pin CPU fan power cable. Should I attempt to re-oil the dead fan? Or somehow split the power cable and add a new 120mm fan?

I don't want to buy a new CPU cooler, not when the heatsink is perfectly good and one fan still works. This unit is only about 14-15 months old, too.

Thoughts?

acer0169

Distinguished
Even with no oil at all, the fan will still work almost perfectly.. it might just go a little slower and make noise. The fans are screwed down on the Vigor Monsoon LT III so just simply buy a new fan and replace your knackered one.

Quality fans are around £10-£20, anything less than that is normally a poor quality fan and ends up making noise or failing with dust build up etc.

TitusPullo

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I have a new fan, but how do I hook it up to the Monsoon? If I just screw it in, what happens to the power cable? The new fan is a 3pin and the 2 fans on the Monsoon are linked to one 4pin cable that hooks up to the motherboard.