Sign in with
Your question

IDE to USB connected drive doesn't appear in Disk Manager

Last response: in Storage
May 28, 2010 7:35:52 PM

I am trying to get some files off of my wife's old hard drive. It is an old Enchanced IDE hard drive, circa 2003-2004 I believe. The problem is that the drive doesn't appear in the Disk Management section of Computer Management, but it does appear in the Device Manager section of Computer Management and in Device Manager itself. When we plugged in the converter it recognized it fine, but it wouldn't allow it to be seen in My Computer and all other information I've found has said to assign it a drive letter in Disk Management, but it doesn't appear there so no drive letter can be assigned. We are using an IDE/SATA to USB connector and I just want it to work long enough for her to be able to get her information off of it. I haven't looked in the BIOS, since I didn't think that there would be any point since it is connected by a USB cable to the computer. Do I need to do anything in the BIOS? Any help would be appreciated. I wanted to fix it for her, but I just can't seem to figure it out. Thank you for you help!
a b G Storage
June 6, 2010 8:21:38 AM

If you haven't solved this on your own already, try it on a different computer. it is entirely possible the old IDE drive is botched.
m
l
Related resources
!