Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

OS Won't Load

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
May 17, 2011 11:57:50 PM

I just finished assembling a new desktop PC. Everything went together well with no hint of trouble. The thing is, I cannot get the OS to load onto the either an HDD or an SSD.

I am trying to install Windows XP from an original disk using the new Bluray optical drive. Whether trying to load onto a SSD or an HDD, the OS starts to load (into RAM?) but after about two minutes it crashes to a BSOD warning me of HDD problems, possible viruses,...

I tried to boot the PC using an HDD with the OS already installed (from another PC). That did not work, either.

I was thinking perhaps the drives were not formatted but the BIOS recognizes the individual drives and their individual capacities, so I think each one is formatted.

Is this a driver problem? Does XP not have the SATA drivers I need to access the disk?

I ordered a copy of the Windows 7 Upgrade but it's not here yet. Because it's an upgrade, I don't think it will solve this problem - I think I need to load XP, then do the upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

mobo - P8P67 WS Revolution
CPU - quad core i7 2600K
RAM - 8GB
Dual HD6870 graphics cards
XFi Titanium audio card

More about : load

May 18, 2011 4:08:18 AM

you will need to load the chipset drivers during the XP install since XP does not support SATA controllers.

at the beginning of the installation it says to hit F6 to load extra drivers.

for your Windows7 installation try this:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-instal...
m
l
May 18, 2011 11:04:07 PM

That's a good article, Emerald.

His "Option 1" states I can load the Windows 7 OS from an Upgrade disk directly onto a clean HDD or SSD without first loading XP. I am a bit surprised at that but I am very happy about it, too.

Microsoft only made doing a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 possible to make it more convenient so you do not have to reinstall both the old Windows version (ex: Vista) and upgrade to Windows 7 everytime you needed or wanted to reinstall.

"Microsoft only made doing a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 possible to make it more convenient so you do not have to reinstall both the old Windows version (ex: Vista) and upgrade to Windows 7 everytime you needed or wanted to reinstall."

I'll let you know if it really works.
m
l
May 19, 2011 6:45:51 PM

I haven't yet received my Windows 7 Upgrade but I couldn't resist getting this new PC going. I loaded the SATA drivers via a USB floppy drive and a floppy disk (remember those?). All is well.

I guess XP is so old it predates SATA, altogether. In the on-screen prompt to "push F6", there is no mention of SATA drivers. I had forgotten all about needing to load them. The prompt did not mention them. I was oblivious. Now, I am up and running.

Thanks!
m
l