OS Won't Load

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I just finished assembling a new desktop PC. Everything went together well with no hint of trouble. The thing is, I cannot get the OS to load onto the either an HDD or an SSD.

I am trying to install Windows XP from an original disk using the new Bluray optical drive. Whether trying to load onto a SSD or an HDD, the OS starts to load (into RAM?) but after about two minutes it crashes to a BSOD warning me of HDD problems, possible viruses,...

I tried to boot the PC using an HDD with the OS already installed (from another PC). That did not work, either.

I was thinking perhaps the drives were not formatted but the BIOS recognizes the individual drives and their individual capacities, so I think each one is formatted.

Is this a driver problem? Does XP not have the SATA drivers I need to access the disk?

I ordered a copy of the Windows 7 Upgrade but it's not here yet. Because it's an upgrade, I don't think it will solve this problem - I think I need to load XP, then do the upgrade.

Any help would be appreciated.

mobo - P8P67 WS Revolution
CPU - quad core i7 2600K
RAM - 8GB
Dual HD6870 graphics cards
XFi Titanium audio card

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
That's a good article, Emerald.

His "Option 1" states I can load the Windows 7 OS from an Upgrade disk directly onto a clean HDD or SSD without first loading XP. I am a bit surprised at that but I am very happy about it, too.

Microsoft only made doing a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 possible to make it more convenient so you do not have to reinstall both the old Windows version (ex: Vista) and upgrade to Windows 7 everytime you needed or wanted to reinstall.

"Microsoft only made doing a clean install from a upgrade Windows 7 possible to make it more convenient so you do not have to reinstall both the old Windows version (ex: Vista) and upgrade to Windows 7 everytime you needed or wanted to reinstall."

I'll let you know if it really works.

Mike Mills

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I haven't yet received my Windows 7 Upgrade but I couldn't resist getting this new PC going. I loaded the SATA drivers via a USB floppy drive and a floppy disk (remember those?). All is well.

I guess XP is so old it predates SATA, altogether. In the on-screen prompt to "push F6", there is no mention of SATA drivers. I had forgotten all about needing to load them. The prompt did not mention them. I was oblivious. Now, I am up and running.

Thanks!