AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition no longer overclockable

Been fighting this for a couple of weeks. Initially I thought it was caused by my new graphics card, or maybe my OS, but I've now changed both and the problem persists.

On my ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe mainboard for the past couple of years I was successfully overclocking my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition CPU to about 3.2 GHz. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was running at stock 2.5 Ghz so I went into BIOS and everything was still set to manual overclocking, multiplier was at 15.5 and bus speed at 206.

After several reboots (and trying to find a downloadable copy of ASUS's AI Booster on their site, which seems to have vanished, so I could try to overclock at the GUI level) and trying to swap the multiplier and bus speed (multiplier at 12.5 and bus speed at 256) I still get the following once I get to the desktop.

Originally was running WinXP SP3 32-bit
now running Win7 Enterprise N 64-bit

Originally running EVGA Geforce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E
now running ATI Radeon 5770 1GB PCI-E. Getting this weird behavior before and after both changes.

Not an emergency but a major annoyance. Please help!
4 answers Last reply
More about athlon 5000 black edition longer overclockable
  1. What do the BIOS sensors claim the frequency is?

Have you tried older versions of CPU-Z?
  2. Since it is a black edition, I'd take the FSB back to 200 and just use the multiplier to get to 3.2.
  3. Trying both ideas. Here's the new info. Still getting the error.

Here's the new BIOS info:

CPU-Z version 1.53.1 (seems to be the oldest version I can find on their web site):

And to attempt to validate the info in CPU-Z here's the Win7 screen:

4. ahalibut said:
    Been fighting this for a couple of weeks. Initially I thought it was caused by my new graphics card, or maybe my OS, but I've now changed both and the problem persists.

On my ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe mainboard for the past couple of years I was successfully overclocking my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition CPU to about 3.2 GHz. I noticed a couple of weeks ago it was running at stock 2.5 Ghz so I went into BIOS and everything was still set to manual overclocking, multiplier was at 15.5 and bus speed at 206.

After several reboots (and trying to find a downloadable copy of ASUS's AI Booster on their site, which seems to have vanished, so I could try to overclock at the GUI level) and trying to swap the multiplier and bus speed (multiplier at 12.5 and bus speed at 256) I still get the following once I get to the desktop.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/903/cpuz05022010athlon64500.jpg http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/682/asusm2nslibios.jpg

Originally was running WinXP SP3 32-bit
    now running Win7 Enterprise N 64-bit

Originally running EVGA Geforce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    now running ATI Radeon 5770 1GB PCI-E. Getting this weird behavior before and after both changes.

Not an emergency but a major annoyance. Please help!

If you turn off cool and quite it will report correctly in windows 7, silly bug but easy to fix bios option
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking