Help with Corei7 920 & DDR3 Tri-Channel RAM

trill2ride

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
My question is if I could use a faster DDR3 Tri-Channel RAM on a processor that does not support that speed.

For example, I have a Intel Corei7 920 processor which only supports a DDR3 Tri-Channel RAM speed of 1066MHz without overclocking the processor. But I have RAM with a speed of 1333MHz.

My question is what would happen if I used the faster RAM with a processor that doesnt support that speed without being overclocked?

And

What are the future consequences if I were to do something like that? Would it reduce the life of the RAM modules or the Corei7 CPU, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Actually the processor DOES support that speed. Core i7 920 supports DDR3-1066, 1333, 1600, and 1866. It even has a ratio for DDR3-2133, but the memory controller isn't stable at this speed. MORE DETAILS:

Intel originally approved only DDR3-800 and 1066 for its i7 920 in order to boost the specification advantages for its i7 965. The 965 was supposed to be the only processor with the upper memory ratios "unlocked", and officially supported DDR3-1333. Intel even shipped out press samples with the 920 locked and the 965 unlocked.

But Intel changed its mind and shipped RETAIL Core i7 920's with all the memory ratios unlocked. It didn't change the spcification for what was officially supported, but unofficially you could use memory at any speed for which the memory controller is stable.

Core i7 memory controllers are stable at speeds up to 1866, so feel free to use 1333 or 1600.

trill2ride

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I know I am being redundent, but just wanted to make sure again.

If I buy DDR3-1866 RAM it will run at full speed with the Intel Corei7 920 processor without touching the BCLK or overclocking the processor, am I right?

thanks in advance

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

As long as your BIOS supports it, it's a retail Core i7 920, and you set the uncore and DIMM voltage correctly, yes.

Most motherboards were developed with pre-production Core i7 samples and I've had to update BIOS on a few of them to reveal the additional memory ratios.

Yes, you can adjust the mobo so that your ram runs at top speed. BUT.....

To what end?
The i7 integrated memory controller is very good. It has no problem feeding the cpu what it needs with slower ram. The difference in FPS or other non synthetic applications is minimal. I see little value in paying more for ram faster than 1600, and I think 1333 would perform just as well.
Here is an early set of tests of different ram speeds and timings with a i7-965:
http://techgage.com/print/intel_core_i7_-_choosing_the_best_memory_kit

The net, I think is to not pay much of a premium for faster than 1333 ram or better timings unless you are a maximum overclocker.

TRENDING THREADS