jerrywang1789

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hi,

after much reading on various online web forums, I've decided to put together my first home built computer. However, after finishing the assembly of all the parts, the display shows no signal coming from my computer.

The parts:

500W power supply
Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Corsair 2x2GB DDR2 800 Ram
AMD Athlon 2.9Ghz x2 5600+
Antec Three Hundred Case

I'm currently using the onboard graphics card b/c I forgot my old monitor requires VGA output and I bought a Geforce 8600 GT which has no VGA slot. The Geforce is not plugged in right now and I am connecting to the onboard graphics card.

What I've tried:
Unplugging everything except PSU, and Ram. Nothing
Reset the ram and CPU/fan. Nothing.
Made sure the 20pin and the 4pin connector from my power supply is plugged into the motherboard.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Asinger93

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Well, if you go to:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998101 You can buy an adapter for your 8600GT. Just screw this into the graphics card once the graphics card is installed, then plug in the vga cable. Otherwise I would recommend contacting customer service for the motherboard

jerrywang1789

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Thanks Asinger93. I actually had my friend bring over his monitor which supports the DVI output and installed my graphics card. Still no signal.

I double checked also and made sure my monitor worked by plugging it into the laptop I'm on. Booted up just fine. So the monitor isn't the problem.

And, if it helps, there are no beeps when the computer starts.

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you "made sure the 20pin and the 4pin connector from my power supply is plugged into the motherboard." The main motherboard power connector on that motherboard is 24 pins, not 20. Do you have all 24 pins plugged in as well as the separate 4-pin CPU power connector near the CPU socket?

What model of PSU did you get? We need a little more info than "500W power supply".

Have you tried booting with just one stick of RAM installed?

Did you use standoffs between the motherboard and case and ensure there aren't any extra standoffs that don't line up with a hole in the motherboard? You might want to take everything out of the case and put it together on a non-conductive surface like the motherboard box and see if it posts that way. If it does, that'll indicate a short was occurring when the motherboard was mounted in the case.