Heatsink Install question

bschiefelbein

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I'm installing a Tuniq tower 120 heatsink/fan on a Q6600 processor in a antec 900 case. I used artic silver 5 thermal compound between the processor and heatsink. I tightened the four screws pretty tight. It is definitely tight on the processor, but it can still slide around a little. I have all the fans running on high (5).

I am not overclocking or anything at this point and my idle temps are nearly 60c (using CPUID hardware monitor). This seems really high for an out-of-box configuration and definitely not acceptable if I was to ever overclock the system (which is my intention). Is there something I'm missing in the heatsink installation? Do you have any suggestions how I can get my heat down?

Thanks for your help.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I assume those are idle temps, I see they are. They are completely unacceptable even for stock operation.

There's not a lot to the install of that HS. Make sure nothing is keeping the HS from mating properly with the CPU and tighten it down snugly. Many HSs have stops on the screws and you tighten them down until they won't tighten any more, but many do not. Check yours to see if that is the case and tighten it accordingly.

My TR Ultra120 still moves around a little when installed properly, so that may or may not be indicative of a problem.