Benefit of upgrading RAM

I have an ASUS G50 with 4gb ram it can handle up to 8, I have tried to max it out opening multiple programs and the most it uses is 3gb, so would there be any benefit in upgrading to 8gb
5 answers Last reply
More about benefit upgrading
  1. If you are using a 32 bit OS, no, there is no benefit. If you are using a 64 bit OS, you would see a slight performance increase up to ~6Gb. After that, the performance increase is negligible.

What OS and RAM are you currently using?
  2. I thinks tom's recently did a comparison that showed in some situations 6 gb was faster than 12gb and that when 12gb was faster it wasn't by much. Also with more ram you can't set the clock speed as high. Really though 4 should be plenty. Though on a 32bit os you will only get 3 gb.
  3. aford10 said:
    If you are using a 32 bit OS, no, there is no benefit. If you are using a 64 bit OS, you would see a slight performance increase up to ~6Gb. After that, the performance increase is negligible.

What OS and RAM are you currently using?

I am running Vista 64 bit and factory 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2
  4. You could upgrade to 6Gb fairly cheap. It would give some performance boost, but you probably won't notice a whole lot if you aren't tapping out the 4Gb you currently have.
  5. Waste of money if you aren't using what you have now.
    More sticks of memory also means more system overhead.
    Due to your board design, you might actually see a decrease in performance if:
    1. You don't even use the 4 gig you now, and
    2. If your board lowers the speed of your memory when you install more than 2 sticks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Asus RAM Motherboards