Sign in with
Your question

Benefit of upgrading RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
April 19, 2009 5:57:40 AM

I have an ASUS G50 with 4gb ram it can handle up to 8, I have tried to max it out opening multiple programs and the most it uses is 3gb, so would there be any benefit in upgrading to 8gb

More about : benefit upgrading ram

a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2009 6:06:35 AM

If you are using a 32 bit OS, no, there is no benefit. If you are using a 64 bit OS, you would see a slight performance increase up to ~6Gb. After that, the performance increase is negligible.

What OS and RAM are you currently using?
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2009 7:06:40 PM

I thinks tom's recently did a comparison that showed in some situations 6 gb was faster than 12gb and that when 12gb was faster it wasn't by much. Also with more ram you can't set the clock speed as high. Really though 4 should be plenty. Though on a 32bit os you will only get 3 gb.
Related resources
April 20, 2009 12:47:19 AM

aford10 said:
If you are using a 32 bit OS, no, there is no benefit. If you are using a 64 bit OS, you would see a slight performance increase up to ~6Gb. After that, the performance increase is negligible.

What OS and RAM are you currently using?

I am running Vista 64 bit and factory 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2009 5:30:50 AM

You could upgrade to 6Gb fairly cheap. It would give some performance boost, but you probably won't notice a whole lot if you aren't tapping out the 4Gb you currently have.
a b V Motherboard
April 20, 2009 2:36:33 PM

Waste of money if you aren't using what you have now.
More sticks of memory also means more system overhead.
Due to your board design, you might actually see a decrease in performance if:
1. You don't even use the 4 gig you now, and
2. If your board lowers the speed of your memory when you install more than 2 sticks.
!