Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is it Possible to install wireless driver card without model info?

Last response: in Components
March 7, 2009 5:43:53 PM

Hi everyone,
I am wondering, I had a virus recently and was using a wired LAN connection. I also have a wireless PCI card (Linksys) with wireless potential wireless connection to the same wired router. I have not used it in years, and have not had the driver software installed. It is also connected but is not detected on my computer.

My question is, Is it possible to for anyone to remotely install the driver into my card and access my wireless internet? Can they detect my model and make number for the driver information?

Thanks so much everyone

Roy
March 7, 2009 7:33:23 PM

See if you can find the wireless chip manufacturer, it should be on the largest chip visible. Failing that it should have a FCC ID on it, Google the FCC and it may help you out.

If you still cant find the driver post a link to a high res picture of it and I am sure myself or some other helpful member will assist you.

VRGBoxy
March 7, 2009 7:54:53 PM

Not sure what you mean by "remotely install". Assuming you are running Windows, windows should have auto-detected the card and installed drivers when it was installed.
I would think that anyone that has remote control over your system should be able to look at the system hardware info and/or run diagnostic programs that would tell them what hardware you have in the system.
Related resources
March 7, 2009 7:56:28 PM

Thanks a lot for the response VRGBoXy

I am actually wondering if it is possible for someone to know my wireless card adapter model number without physically looking through my computer.
Therefore if they could install the driver to my wireless adapter without me knowing?

Are there programs to detect what type of hardware you have on your computer, if it has not been installed with the driver yet?

Thanks again

Roy
March 7, 2009 8:03:49 PM

Mondoman said:
Not sure what you mean by "remotely install". Assuming you are running Windows, windows should have auto-detected the card and installed drivers when it was installed.
I would think that anyone that has remote control over your system should be able to look at the system hardware info and/or run diagnostic programs that would tell them what hardware you have in the system.

Thanks alot for your response Mondoman,
with remote installation i am talking about a hacker trying to gain more information from the computer. Will Windows automatically detect the wireless card and install the driver, my version must be old because it does not automatically install the driver. I have to use their CD.

I just don't if it is possible to find out what hardware you have on your computer if it has not yet been installed with the driver. Because my computer cannot detect it.

Roy
March 8, 2009 4:49:00 AM

In Windows, you should be able to go to the "System" icon in the Control Panel (classic style), and click on the "Device Manager" tab to see a list of all the hardware Windows has detected, even if no driver has been installed for it.
March 8, 2009 1:08:32 PM

I think the question roysmith1965 is asking is, can someone use a wireless card attached to his system to access his system without his permission even though it has no drivers. Short answer, no.

One can identify and install the proper drivers for the WiFi card remotely using a wired connection and given full access to the system but if one has full access to the system via a wired connection why would one setup the WiFi to gain full access to the system?
March 8, 2009 4:31:37 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your responses.
MISRy You got my question right. The reason I am wondering is because I got a virus via my wired connection. I was wondering if the hacker would create a backup connection via my wireless since it sees that there is a potential wireless connection. Therefore if they ever lose connection from the wired, he can log back on via wireless and have another attack route.

Thanks again everyone.

Roy
March 8, 2009 4:54:21 PM

In addition to my last post. The reason I am wondering is because after i realized i had the virus, I disconnected my wired ethernet cable from the back of my computer. I then back up my important files.

However I forgot about my wireless PCI card which has been sitting there for years. It has its green light on but is inactive because of no driver. During the time my wired connection was disconnected, I'm worried that the hacker could still have access via a wireless access to my router.

My comp has since been formatted, so i can't look back. Once done is done.

Roy
March 8, 2009 10:38:16 PM

Unless you have plans to Airforce 1 or or somesuch on your system I wouldn't worry about it. Viruses are just too easy to get on the net, I was attacked by Antispy 2009 yesterday and the only site I had open was this one. We don't make eye contact with people on the median who have a sign and we shut our browsers down when something uninvited tells us we have a virus. 21st century life.
March 9, 2009 12:03:32 AM

If you want to know what is on your computer, try downloading something like Knoppix.
It will run directly from the DVD without installing, and you can find what it detects and is working.
I find it quite usefull. There are other programs doing similar things, try looking on Distrowatch.
JB
March 9, 2009 2:53:31 PM

Thanks JB and MISRy for the response
at the time before I formatted the comp, I ran a search for the files and all folders with the model number of the driver for the PCI adapter. Nothing showed up. However i did not think of running the search including hidden files at the time.

I have tried installing the driver after the format and running the search again and noticed that I can pull up the file names of the model when the driver is installed, so that gives me a bit more assurance.

I can't look back now because the harddrive has been formatted. So I can only hope that is enough assurance to know the driver was not installed.

The virus/ hacker must have had to run a program that is able to install my driver remotely, then keep the files hidden and then finally run the wireless internet hidden. I don't know if they would go through all that trouble, unless viruses today are already now are preprogrammed to do all that.

I hope I am in the clear.

Thanks again

Roy
March 10, 2009 5:27:48 AM

I think you're right to feel safe now, Roy. Hackers don't put effort into individual computers, as it's botnets with 1000s of PCs that are what make money for them.
!