Sign in with
Your question

!!! I changed my Mem timings. Now win 7 ult resets after a few seconds

Last response: in Overclocking
May 3, 2010 2:28:01 AM

So I gave it a shot. Ive been wanting to change my mem timings from 4 4 4 12 to something else. So i dled Memset fiddled with the timings, from the default 4 4 4 12 to 4 6 6 13 and that didnt work. it reset itself immediately. but i was still able to boot into windows. I finally got it stable at 4 5 5 15 and it stayed that way for maybe half an hour. the temp felt fine in the case. so i thought i had done it. i then dled temp fan to check if the modules were overheating but, not surprisingly my old piece of **** dell didnt have the hardware to allow it to monitor the heat. so i started playing with settings. i dont think i changed anything and didnt change it back. but soon after i was checking the ram speeds in cpu-z snd noticed the timings were way off. later, even some of the timings were missing. then my pc shuts off and reboots. i try to boot using safe mode. but when i try to enter memset but my pc screen just blossomed into pixels and boxes. i then ran "windows memory diagnostic tool" and to no luck. So. anyone with advice how to get my sorry ass out of this predicament ? BTW im using a shitty 3 yr old dell. stock everything other than the mem. pentium 4 HT 2.99 Ghz.
plz and thank u !!
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 2:43:05 AM

First off, raising memory timings would actually make it run slower, not faster, and I'm not sure why it would crash after raising them, as it would put less stress on the modules.

Also, memory modules are specc'ed to run at certain timings, and although some will let you lower them on the same voltage, others won't, and, I'm assuming you're still using the RAM that came with the computer, Dell isn't about to throw in parts that can be used outside of spec.

On to your problem: I'm not too familiar with MemSet, I've never really owned an OEM computer, so I've been able to set my own timings in the BIOS, but I didn't think that it would set the timings for anything but that session in Windows.

Start your computer in safe mode, then run msconfig, and see if Memset is starting up with the system, and, if so, disable it, and you should be able to boot normally again.
m
l
May 3, 2010 2:52:50 AM

it seems like that worked. thanks a ton man.(cpu-z reporting all timings to be stock) umm yeah. im still very new to trying to overclock my pc. but thank u so much. (i guess its better to practice on this dinosaur right?) umm.

Ive also been trying to overclock my cpu. but clockgen needs my pll. which is "ICS954102afln" but i couldnt find that particular pll in the dropdown. so am i just SOL ? or what ? thanks in advance
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 2:55:32 AM

Again, I'm not sure about overclocking from within Windows, and especially not when it comes to that program. If it isn't explicitly listed, I wouldn't try it at first. I'd throw the model number and "clockgen pll" into Google and see what it turns up before taking that plunge and really messing something up.

It may be a dinosaur, but if it's all you've got, it's like a dinosaur covered in gold!
m
l
May 3, 2010 3:06:21 AM

haha yeah, gold lets go with that. umm. but im kinda stuck with doing it inside the OS cuz dell and all the other OEM retailers are retarded and dont like overclocking(prob for warranty reasons, but hey its still annoying) so unless u know of a BIOS mod or revision i can download. im still SOL. YAY
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 3:10:12 AM

There are no unofficial BIOSes for OEM computers that I'm aware of, unfortunately.
m
l
May 3, 2010 3:33:37 AM

hey i dont see a difference when i change the timings back to stock. the dram freq stays the same. only fluctuating a few MHz (like .3 MHz or so) so is there a point to overclocking it ?

Stock is at 4 4 4 12. and u said not to go up so i went down to 4(why cant i change the Cas latency ?) 3 3 15(tRAS is the one u need to bump up right?)
m
l
May 3, 2010 3:39:12 AM

oh btw do u have any suggestions for the other timings? the more advanced ones ? im kind of hesitant on messing with them
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 3:41:15 AM

No, I don't think you understand what the timings are. Timings measure the latency at which certain things happen (all under the hood, so you can't just change certain ones to perform certain tasks), so lowering them decreases the time it takes to do something, and upping them increases it.

Lowering RAM latencies is a form of overclocking, and can cause instability if set too low at a certain voltage. I wouldn't suggest messing with the timings in Windows, else you risk the same thing that just happen reoccurring.
m
l
May 3, 2010 3:48:22 AM

I dont either XP. just ive been looking to buy a new PC for a long time now. and ive been scoping out newegg for prices and reviews. and with the newer ddr3 their timings are higher. so i just assumed more is better. but now that uve corrected me, i remember reading about how ddr2 out performs ddr3 (in the beginning) just like ddr had done with ddr2. kk. so i understand it a bit more now. thanks
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 3:56:36 AM

No problems, glad to know I helped you learn something!

Each new iteration of DDR trades lower latencies for higher throughput (DDR3 tops out around 2300+ currently), but as it ages, latencies drop.

I remember I had some G.Skill DDR2 that ran at 4-4-3-5 timings when everything else was running 5-5-5-15. And now DDR3 is getting into 6- timings instead of 9- and 10-.
m
l
May 3, 2010 4:24:05 AM

haha yeah but thats at the other end of what i want to spend XP
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 5:05:24 PM

Hey just to help inform. I've been doing a lot of reading on memory myself, thinking about overclocking. While lower timings are indeed faster, higher timings at higher frequencies is generally faster than lower at lower. For example, from Wikipedia you can see that a DDR2 800 CL of 5 takes 12.5ns (nano seconds) while DDR3 1600 CL of 9 is only 11.25. Basically just look at "cycle time" and multiply by the latency. So DDR2 800 has a cycle time of 2.5ns, so 2.5x5=12.5ns. The DDR3 1600 has a cycle time of half that, 1.25ns, so 1.25x8=10ns and this is a fairly normal DDR3 setting on decent RAM chips.
m
l
May 5, 2010 5:52:25 AM

haha thank u for underestimating my ability to know what a ns ( nano seconds) is XP
m
l
!