Sign in with
Your question

2 of 3 seagate 2tb harddrives fail within 24 hrs of operation.

Last response: in Storage
May 29, 2010 3:43:14 PM

Hello,
Is just my bad luck or is Seagate having another round of shipping bad drives. I have had 2 of 3 ST32000542AS firmware CC34 code date 10297 fail in less than 24 hours of operation.
a b G Storage
May 29, 2010 5:36:40 PM

Wow - are you sure you're power supply can handle them?
m
l
May 29, 2010 6:10:12 PM

They were being used in a docking station backing up the raid 5 for reconfiguration of the raid, the other six drives being used in the docking satation are not having issues. including two more 2tb seagates barracuda LP drives.
m
l
Related resources
May 30, 2010 9:14:42 AM

riverbum3 said:
They were being used in a docking station backing up the raid 5 for reconfiguration of the raid, the other six drives being used in the docking satation are not having issues. including two more 2tb seagates barracuda LP drives.

They will have problems... count on it.

If your data is valuable, get the Seagate repair kit from Salvation Data and fix your drives that have died, and
get firmware updates from Seagate for all drives. Seagate kit from Salvation Data is available on eBay for $600
and it can fix all Seagate drives that were made since about 1990 on (won't fix an old ST506, but who has them anymore anyway?).
I own the Seagate kit from SD and it works like magic. Connect, 2 clicks later the drive is fixed! Absolutely amazing.
Also, my drives were parts of a suicide raid (Striped Raid 0), and it didn't matter that they were raid drives, SD fixed them in 2 clicks as though
they never failed. Now I buy only Seagate because I can fix them if (when) they go bad.

On eBay, search for: HD DOCTOR SUITE HARD DRIVER REPAIR TOOL
It will show $2400 but further down they sell any one brand kit for $600
m
l
a b G Storage
May 30, 2010 12:37:10 PM

I'm guessing you told us to give us a tip on what drives to stay away from? Thanks!
m
l
May 31, 2010 3:43:09 AM

elel said:
I'm guessing you told us to give us a tip on what drives to stay away from? Thanks!

You are very perceptive! I now buy Seagate exclusively because I can fix them, but anyone else.... um... well...

I did want to give feedback on Salvation Data though, it actually does everything they claim.
m
l
May 31, 2010 8:37:43 PM

I am not familar with Seagate repair kit from Salvation Data but I do have Easy recovery pro. However when I connect the drive to my mother board and boot into seagate desktop the controler that drive is connected to goes away. what I mean is that controller & drives are no longer seen by the Seagate desktop. Remove that drive and the controler and the boot drive are again visable to Seagate desktop software. When connected as a USB drive, easy recovery pro fails, giving to many i/o errors as the reason. Seagate for windows crashs and will not run while the drive is connect. I am pretty sure they are a lost cause. The data is not whorth sending the drives off to be recovered. Have a good day!
m
l
!