Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What tool for OCing XFX 5850

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
May 3, 2010 3:09:07 AM

I want to be able to overclock my card past the cap on it. I am currently running it at 775/1125. That is using Ati Catalyst. I've heard of some people getting 850 plus on the gpu clock. I don't thing cooling will be an issue. The card currently runs at about 55C after full load running gta 4. On top of that I have a full tower haf 932 which has a lot of air flow.

Now what I want to know is how I can get this thing overclocked past the capped point. What tool can I use, what to up voltage to once I download the tool, etc...


Update:

Tried EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner. When I go to apply the clocks it auto resets back to 775 and 1125. Anyone have any other ideas about it that I could do without flashing the BIOS?

More about : tool ocing xfx 5850

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 2:11:21 PM

^ not good enough.

@OP:
I recommend you try MSI After Burner or EVGA Precision.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 2:24:09 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^ not good enough.

@OP:
I recommend you try MSI After Burner or EVGA Precision.


That's the second link on the page referred to the op. :pfff: 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 2:39:11 PM

Que second link? Me no see it.


edit: never mind. I see it now. Was using Minefield before :lol: 
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 3:21:28 PM

I like MSI Afterburner as well. As my sig shows, I'm running at 985 core, 1200 mem. It's very stable while gaming in Crysis (High, 4xAA, 50fps), NFS Shift (Max, 4xAA, 60fps or 8xAA 50fps), Dirt 2 (Max, 4xAA, 55+fps). All resolutions are 1920x1080. I set the voltage to 1.220 if I recall correctly. I'm not sure why the guide linked by alyoshka mentions needing to flash the BIOS to adjust everything from Afterburner... that might be a brand specific issue. Mine's a Sapphire.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 4:42:47 PM

Quote:
mentions needing to flash the BIOS to adjust everything from Afterburner... that might be a brand specific issue. Mine's a Sapphire.

Exactly. For example, I couldn't adjust voltage on my XFX 4870.
m
0
l
May 3, 2010 6:47:33 PM

Ok. Thanks for all the help. I'm gonna have to try this tonight. I looked at MSI Afterburner before I posted here but I wasn't sure if it could be used universal or just for MSI cards.
m
0
l
May 3, 2010 9:01:51 PM

Tried EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner. When I go to apply the clocks it auto resets back to 775 and 1125. Anyone have any other ideas about it that I could do without flashing the BIOS?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 9:09:30 PM

Yea make sure you open up Catalyst Control Center, go to ATI Overdrive, and first unlock the card and second disable (uncheck) the ATI Overdrive box. Secondly, in MSI Afterburner, make sure you change the config file where it says "allow unofficialoverclocking =" from 0 to 1. Then you should be good to go.
Share
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 9:10:04 PM

^ Hmm.... that's weird. Btw, use only ONE of them at a time.
m
0
l
May 3, 2010 10:28:23 PM

wolfram23 said:
Yea make sure you open up Catalyst Control Center, go to ATI Overdrive, and first unlock the card and second disable (uncheck) the ATI Overdrive box. Secondly, in MSI Afterburner, make sure you change the config file where it says "allow unofficialoverclocking =" from 0 to 1. Then you should be good to go.


Had to go through some hurdles to get it to save after I changed, but that did the trick. Thanks a lot
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 11:03:23 PM

woodyhd said:
Had to go through some hurdles to get it to save after I changed, but that did the trick. Thanks a lot


No problem :) 

(If you want to give me a "Best Answer" I'd appreciate it)
m
0
l
May 3, 2010 11:11:38 PM

Best answer selected by WoodyHD.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2010 7:20:49 AM

Shadow703793 said:
Que second link? Me no see it.


edit: never mind. I see it now. Was using Minefield before :lol: 

I'm using Namoroka. I thinks it's a little better than Minefield...... although nearly the same.... :D 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2010 4:17:19 PM

^ Didn't know about that one. Will try it out. BUT it seems as if the development on that is stalled....
m
0
l
!