Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Applying thermal paste?

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 3:33:38 PM

Hi all I was wondering if I could get a little advice. I want to get my core temps all within about 3C of eachother. As it stands right now, my Core 0 is about 4C higher than Core 1, and then Core 2 and 3 are within 1-2C of Core 1. Basically just Core 0 is an outlier. I've reseated the heat sink after doing lapping on the CPU which gave a massive decrease of temps, and I am pretty happy with it but like I said, I'd like the temps to be tighter. I've reseated it a couple times now but I've been using an absolute minimun of thermal paste (Arctic Silver). I'd squirt a tiny bit on and the spread a very thin layer on the CPU. Tonight I plan to take the HS off again and check if it has 100% CPU contact. Just wondering then if maybe a little more thermal paste is fine? I'm considering spreading it out very thin again, then adding a couple tiny blobs near each corner so when I set the HS it'll squish them out but I know having too much paste is not good. How much is too much?

Is it fairly normal or at least not unusual to have one core that's a little higher than the rest?

More about : applying thermal paste

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 3:46:57 PM

It is fairly normal, even 7C diff is acceptable. Less is better. I wouldn't wory about it, your temps are below the acceptable limits?

Spreading the paste isn't the best way.

A blob bigger than a grain of rice, smaller than a small pea in the middle is what you need. Put the cooler on nice and smooth and it will spread out fine. Making a thin layer could make bubbles.

a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 4:48:51 PM

Best answer selected by Wolfram23.
m
l
Related resources
a c 100 K Overclocking
May 3, 2010 4:49:12 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll try again using the blob method. And yes, my temps are well below normal - under full load at 3.6ghz my highest temp is 61C on Core 0 and the rest ~55-58C
m
l
May 6, 2010 10:20:38 AM

Conumdrum said:
It is fairly normal, even 7C diff is acceptable. Less is better. I wouldn't wory about it, your temps are below the acceptable limits?

Spreading the paste isn't the best way.

A blob bigger than a grain of rice, smaller than a small pea in the middle is what you need. Put the cooler on nice and smooth and it will spread out fine. Making a thin layer could make bubbles.

how much is smaller than a small pea ?

a Russian pea could be very different from an Australian pea from an Brazilian pea ?

so how do i get the size of thermal paste compared to that pea you are talking about ?
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
May 8, 2010 11:20:23 AM

You want the thinnest layer that covers the middle you can get. TPaste is still an insulator in comparison to the two metals. Your just filling in the voids because nothing is truly perfectly flat.

More is bad, too little is bad.
m
l
!