Hard Drive Not Working

alinger

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Just finished building my new computer and when I turn it on my monitor screen is black. It doesn't seem like my HDD is working. Here's what I have

Antec 900
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
G.Skill 4GB (2x2) DDR2-800
Sapphire Radeon HD4950 512mhz
WD 640GB
Asus 22" monitor
Corsair 750TX PSU
Intel E8400 CPU
Windows Vista Home

My HDD did not come with any directions, and this is a first time build for me.

On the back of the card, I have a SATA cable plugged in which is then plugged into the "SATA2-0" slot on the MOBO. I also have a Peripheral cable from the PSU plugged in to the back of the HDD. The only thing available on the back of the HDD is an 8 pin male connection.

When I turn the computer on LED's light up on the MOBO and the fans (including the GPU) start spinning. But, I do not hear the HDD working, the monitor is black, and I do not hear any beeps.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jakary

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Well if your not hearings beeps and stuff, and nothings showing up on the screen, then i would assume the bios arnt even going to the POST screen, bad news bears...

+1 to shortstuff's cpu power connector comment

alinger

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Well I think I solved my own problem...I had the hdmi cable hooked up to the back of the monitor, and the adapter on the back of the computer. When I disconnected the hdmi cable and hooked up the vga cable..wala...I got picture. Don't understand why I can't get a picture with the HDMI?

I believe it went to the "post" screen. The last message on the screen was something to the extent of "insert disk and hit enter when ready". I inserted my Windows Vista DVD and it's installing now.

Here's how my HDD and DVD are hooked up. Does this sound right? A SATA cable is plugged into the HDD and the SATA 2_0 connector on the MOBO. The Peripheral cable from the PSU is plugged into the HDD too. I have the "master" IDE connected to the DVD and then to the MOBO.

Other than that everything seems to be ok....Do I need to do anything with the BIOS? or CMOS? Can't wait to start gaming!!!!

alinger

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Hey..thanks you guys for your help. Yes...the 8 pin CPU pwr connector is connected allong with the 24 pin motherboard connector. The HDMI adapter is fine and I'll check the BIOS after Windows installs. WoW....I started my first build tonight around 4pm and eight hours later it looks like I might have a screamin' gaming machine? lol