Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Online backup solutions

Last response: in Storage
May 29, 2010 5:04:31 PM

I'm curious what are the best online backup solutions. I was looking at carbonite. Several of my friends have critical data on their computers and I want to provide them with several backup solutions.

I also know the major companies, google, yahoo, microsoft (hotmail), etc. give a few gigs to each user for online data storage. However, I'm not entirely sure how secure or robust those are for backing up critical data.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
a c 96 G Storage
May 31, 2010 5:03:39 PM

There are some issues associated with online data storage systems.

1. The data is stored on someone else's servers. If they crash, what happens to your data? Would you be satisfied with a "sorry"?

2. Would you trust a third party with sensitive confidential data? I am referring to bank information, data, passwords, etc.

I would suggest an external RAID1 data storage (NAS) - mirroring not striping.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 1, 2010 10:29:30 AM

Checkout www.safecopybackup.com. It might be helpful to you. They have 3GB free which never expires. Personally, It's one of my best. :wahoo: 
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 415 G Storage
June 1, 2010 4:59:58 PM

If the data is really critical, I wouldn't trust it being backed up ONLY on ONE online backup site. IMHO free sites are worth what you pay for them in terms of reliability, and even the paid services have an EULA (End User License Agreement) which basically states that there's no guarantee your data will be there when you need it.

Remember, these companies are being created and are going out of business on an ongoing basis. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
June 2, 2010 12:36:38 PM

I agree. Would you put your important data in the hands of someone supplying free backup?
How much do you value your data?
If not much go for a free or cheap solution.
If it's valuable, and mine is, pay for a secure service. Check my site: http://www.online-data-backup-info.com/

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 2, 2010 2:18:26 PM

Good question, great comments too. Check us out, http://backazon.com. US based tech support, phone and email. Data is backed up to Amazon s3 servers, and with versioning, you dont have to worry about any type of "sync" over writing your old backups. You can get our product free via TrialPay as well. Thanks for your time

Cheers
Eric

Let us know what you think!!
October 20, 2010 3:53:25 PM

Eric I've been using ZenOK Online Backup for a while and I'm quite happy with it..its totally for free :D  :D  and it has a Online Backup....and the ultra-light scan and bootup Protection works like a charm for me ...

you just download it then try it....its not complecate

regards :hello: 
November 11, 2010 4:14:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!