Sign in with
Your question

55nm GTX 260 is dissapointing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2009 2:50:04 PM

I personally have this card and am very dissapointed in it. Doesn't overclock well, over heats when it start to get close to 80C. The fan profile is horrible compared to past XFX cards I have had. The cooler is smaller than the 65nm GTX 260. If you have the 65nm there is no point in upgrading. TRUST ME.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2009 3:25:53 PM

It's simply a die shrink. There is never a reason to "upgrade" to the same card on a smaller die.
January 6, 2009 3:45:45 PM

Jag is right. i dont really think the 55nm version is faster ...

Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2009 3:52:32 PM

i feel sorry for you for upgrading to exact same card with a die shrink
January 6, 2009 4:02:26 PM

For the first time on THG i LMAO.
January 6, 2009 4:05:18 PM

But you can do sli with your old 65nm GTX 260 and your new 55nm GTX 260 if you have motherboard that support sli.
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2009 4:20:18 PM

No No I upgraded from an XFX 8800GTS/512. I never had the GTX 260. Sorry if that was confusing. I have compared online reviews and such and they are the same pretty much. Exept the 55nm has all memory chips on the cooler side and the cooler is SMALLER! arrrrrr!

I think i have a defective card though its starting to artifact in crysis. but no other games. Sucks!
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2009 4:20:24 PM

I can't say I'm surprised. The 55nm version is just an effort to reduce costs so I can understand why they also tried to make the heatsink cheaper to produce. Once they better understand the 55nm process and get better yeilds they will probably us a slight core revision to come out with the GT265 or something which will just have higher clocks.
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2009 4:35:07 PM

To bad I didn't know this before I bought it. But you would think a die shrink would AT LEAST hvae equal Oc performance of the 65nm it replaced.
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2009 4:37:52 PM

sorry to hear that man, you paid for overpriced 55nm that should be cheaper to produce than 65nm card....before xmas they has msi 260gtx for $199.99, now the same card is $230
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2009 4:43:18 PM

Maybe they want us to buy GTX 280 cards instead of OCing GTX 260 cards.
January 6, 2009 4:51:37 PM

Looked at em all, XFX GTX 260 black edition, maybe should of got it instead... on par with 280 and even outbenched half of tests...
January 6, 2009 5:07:52 PM

Same thing happened with the 9800 GTX to GTX+. Some did overclock better, but many couldn't go past 800 MHz when the old die could often go to 840.
January 6, 2009 5:20:38 PM

Anyone notice all the 260's seem to have gone up in price on Newegg? I was looking at the EVGA 260(55nm) for 254.99 now its 274.99. For once its actually cheaper to get it from EVGA directly.
a b Î Nvidia
a b K Overclocking
January 6, 2009 5:35:28 PM

It could be related to the USA getting a new president soon. He's expected to fix the current economic disaster, and that makes the companies less willing to offer huge discounts.
a b Î Nvidia
January 6, 2009 5:52:50 PM

All I want is to OC my card to the 675/2304 speed of the SSC version. IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK? Heck it artifacts stock now, I think I need to RMA.
January 6, 2009 10:48:39 PM

megamanx00 said:
I can't say I'm surprised. The 55nm version is just an effort to reduce costs so I can understand why they also tried to make the heatsink cheaper to produce. Once they better understand the 55nm process and get better yeilds they will probably us a slight core revision to come out with the GT265 or something which will just have higher clocks.

Reduces costs...
Reduces heat...
Reduces power usage...
Overclocks better (for the most part)
That's plenty reason for a die shrink. It would be really bad if we were still stuck in 250nm :o . Can you imagine a 250nm i7? It would have a TDP of like 770 watts :o , and require phase cooling to run it on stock.
a b Î Nvidia
January 7, 2009 2:29:54 AM

So tonight I regooped my GPU and seems to actually work fine now. I was able to OC to 650 GPU/ 1200 Mem. I was able to OC to 666MHZ with some moderate fan profiles I set in Riva tuner. 670 Artifacts in Crysis. I am going to check some other benches... But I think the card is working however you just can't pull the heat off of it fast enough.
January 7, 2009 2:59:14 AM

Good to hear the cream worked. Ive heard alot of 260s domt oc so well, you hear mostly from those that do of course, as some people need apendage enlargement.
Id disagree going smaller means less heat, as we see the size in a smaller node doesnt equate to the same power reductions, thus more heat in a smaller space, making it harder to cool. nVidia going 55nm will now start seeing what ATI owners have been seeing for awhile now
Also, allow some time for burn in on the goop, it may get a tad better yet
a b Î Nvidia
January 7, 2009 11:57:38 AM

Yeah we will see what happens. I tell you what its that Arctic Silver Ceramic stuff and it's THICK!
January 9, 2009 5:03:14 AM

Just wondering, would a factory oc'ed version be able to overclock more than a "vanilla" version? Maybe something to to with the stock voltage?
a b Î Nvidia
January 9, 2009 11:40:25 AM

I decided to take the OC off and run it at the factory speed it came at 626/1053. Unfortunitly it still has issues. I was playing FarCry2 and the temps looked fine but after a while it would just shot off the video. Cntl+Alt+Del and ALT+TAB trying to get out of it eventually works and i get an Nvidia driver error or I have to just hard reboot it. This happened several times till I gave up. It's funny it was running 80C in Crysis just fine.

I decided to RMA the card. I called Newegg and they decided I could return it as a RETURN and not get a restock fee since it was indeed defective. I ordered an HD4870 1GB card. To be honest the GTX 260 REALLY didn't do all I thought it would. In talking with my buddy he mentioned that Nvida cards are very CPU intensive and ATI cards are very Driver/Memory intensive. So with my slower CPU i will probably be better off going ATI.

:-( oh well.
February 8, 2009 2:33:31 PM

jay2tall said:
I decided to take the OC off and run it at the factory speed it came at 626/1053. Unfortunitly it still has issues. I was playing FarCry2 and the temps looked fine but after a while it would just shot off the video. Cntl+Alt+Del and ALT+TAB trying to get out of it eventually works and i get an Nvidia driver error or I have to just hard reboot it. This happened several times till I gave up. It's funny it was running 80C in Crysis just fine.

I decided to RMA the card. I called Newegg and they decided I could return it as a RETURN and not get a restock fee since it was indeed defective. I ordered an HD4870 1GB card. To be honest the GTX 260 REALLY didn't do all I thought it would. In talking with my buddy he mentioned that Nvida cards are very CPU intensive and ATI cards are very Driver/Memory intensive. So with my slower CPU i will probably be better off going ATI.

:-( oh well.

sorry to hear you got a bad card. just know that it IS possible to get a bad card from any company. sounds like this one was trouble from the get go. you were much more gracious about it than i would have been. ill will be a very cold day in the fires of Intel (that was for Thunderman) before i tear apart a brand new card to correct a TIM application issue from the manufacturer.
February 10, 2009 9:07:40 PM

is it me or in the overclock section, does it say 65 nm in the picture on the hardwarecanucks website?

I haven't had any problems overclocking my BFG 285 55nm revision to be honest. I got it to 765 with out artifacting 2day, I was happy with that...With Memory running 3 ghz.:) 

But I keep it generally on OCX speeds:) 

Must be luck of the cards:p 
February 10, 2009 10:05:52 PM

From what Im hearing, it isnt the 285 or the 295s thatre being cut down, its the 260s, cause theyre cheaper
February 10, 2009 11:00:41 PM

yea it looks like they are going to butcher a nice little card to save a few dollars. that is one of those bad ideas that can come back to haunt you.
!