Which Mobo for Intel i7 920? (ASRock, Asus or Gigabyte)

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Hi guys, this is my first post. :hello: I am going to make my first build but got a few recommendations on X58 motherboards and now can’t decide which one.
The following:

ASRock SuperComputer
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Gigabyte GA-X58-EXREME

I mostly read good stuff of ASRock SuperComputer and I know GA-X58-EXREME is also going strong out there.
But I see people more pick Asus boards a lot, so I assume this one above should be great too.

I need both SLI and Crossfire support and the most stable overall performance.
I properly planning bring the CPU around 3,8 GHz or maybe 4 GHz.
Also good space around slots and CPU for best placing the other stuff.
Will properly pick a Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler and two GTX 285’s in my system.

Their might be also a bit price difference on the boards above but I will not let that make my decision in first place.

Thanks for any help. ;)

r_manic

Administrator
Both the Asus and the Gigabyte sound good to me. In any case though, I think others here may agree that you don't need to buy such an expensive motherboard for your i7 920. Browse through the Homebuilt section and you'll see people always suggesting cheaper alternatives for initially selected motherboards.

X58 Roundup: Seven $200-300 Core i7 Boards : Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-motherboard-i7,2252.html

With a base clock of 133.7 MHz, the MSI X58 Platinum comes in second place for overall performance. Asus’ P6T wins, in spite of its smaller 0.20% base-clock "nudge" (133.6 MHz). With a performance advantage of over 2% over the Foxconn, DFI, ASRock, Biostar, and EVGA products, Asus could have easily won the performance comparison even without its 0.20% base clock advantage. Exceptional performance at its stock settings earns Asus' P6T a spot in each Tom's Hardware lab as our reference platform for 2009.

EVGA’s X58 3X SLI is thus our preferred choice among sub-$300 motherboards for use in overclocked, high-end gaming configurations. Anyone taking score can call that a win.

The cheapest of today’s competitors, the MSI X58 Platinum SLI is also a great choice for value-conscious SLI system builders, though we choke a little when trying to put “value-conscious” and “SLI” in the same sentence

r_manic

Administrator
I'm hoping Gigabyte wasn't one of the manufacturers who failed to submit their sample on time! (see article shared by evongugg). In any case, with the information available here, I say go for the P6T.

MF-DK

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Thank you guys. It’s still a hard decision. (Between all three)

I noticed they also used same rig for testing in the 300+ roundup. In my newbie eyes I do not see very big difference either by the way.
A most stable board is more important because I properly going use my setup for a long time.

Just what I see they did testing the smallest version of P6T. Not sure how a Deluxe V2 will do or even if that’s the right one to choose.

Also A guy told me that not only the above cooler unfortunately short the nearby circuits for him a bit on the Asus Deluxe V2 :??: (don’t know exactly how but something with the screws and bracket)

Paring D0 stepping and Asrock SuperComputer seem to be nice combo but Asus just beat it.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/asrock-x58-supercomputer,review-31558.html