Foolish moves...so that others don't make the same mistake...

jzsang

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Perhaps there is a similar wall of shame thread out there...if so, I apologize.

But if there isn't, hopefully someone reads this thread, gets a good laugh and maybe learns a thing or two...

Creating a bottleneck: Back in the day when I had a Pentium D 930, I upgraded from a 7900 GS to a 9600 GT. While Bioshock ran great, the rest of my games that were not dual core optimised / more cpu bound were sugglish. I ultimately ended up building a new computer a few months later.

Not being aware of my surroundings: I remember installing an stock Core 2 heatsink on my kitchen table. I spent far too long doing this - pressing down so hard on the pin pusher that I nearly broke a sweat. For about an hour - I kid you not - I thought something was terribly wrong. Little did I know that the table was preventing the pin from going through the motherboard.

Letting a friend by a FX 5200 in late 2007: It was almost embarassing. I had thought I saw the last of those years ago. Even a lowly 7300 GT would have been better.

...feel free to add to the wall of shame...

jerfle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
How about installing a new ATI video card, then trying to install Nvidia drivers? I worked for about 10 minutes to get it. Nothing. I was going to RMA it. Only when I took the side off the computer did find an ATI video card. To this day I have no idea what I was thinking. I guess I was too exited to get 9800 Pro. First upgrade.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Getting Oblivion and thinking it would work on a Celeron 2.8, 256MB RAM and an FX 5200. $90 when i bought it. 9 months later with a system that (cost over $1000 due to build issues.. i didn't know **** back in the day :p) could run it - $50.

another one: buying a 250mm fan and realising it was too big to fit on the inside. still attached it to the outside though :lol:

A Xigmatek HDT-S1283 sticking out the side of my case by the top of the heatpipes. side panel would not close.

jzsang

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
I found a related article...semi-funny...

http://www.harmony-central.com/articles/tips/stupid_computer/

Help keep a computer clean by not letting dust get into it - throw a plastic cover over it when not in use. If it does get dirty inside, use compressed air to blow out the dirt. Do not open up the case and use a vacuum cleaner. They're designed to vacuum Big Things like rooms, not delicate Little Things like computers.