Direct TV at different locations?

Last response: in Home Theatre
April 26, 2004 12:36:31 PM

Hiya,
Here's my situation. I have a home in a city that is served by
Direct TV. Currently on cable but looking at possibly changing. I've
also got a small cabin approx. 130 miles north and Direct TV is
available there as well. Currently, the cabin is served by C-Band but
with C-Band dying the slow death and prices continually rising, I'm
looking into Direct TV there as well. I just received an offer from
DirectTV that offers 3 receivers free. I only need 1-2 of them at my
home and was wondering if I found a second dish, could I haul the 3rd
receiver up to the cabin and be able to use it, all on the same
account? I've talked with DirectTV about this and they are saying we
could do this but only be able to view their services at one location
at a time (ie. watch at home but not the cabin simultaneously and vice
versa). I'm not sure I understand why I couldn't use both
simultaneously. I'm new to the small dish satellite stuff so sorry
if this is a stupid question.

Ultimately, I'd very much like to have TV at both home and cabin and
be able to watch simultaneously all on the same package (ie. not have
to pay for a second package). I only use the cabin TV about 2-3 days
a month-6 weeks.

Thanks very much for any help!
jlc

More about : direct locations

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 8:43:30 PM

Well, feasibly it should work. Now, your locals are a different story. Is
the cabin close to where you live? I:E the same city, state, or zip code? Do
you even have locals available to you? If not, your lucky.

--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
Homer Simpson
"James Cubby Culbertson" <cub@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hiya,
> Here's my situation. I have a home in a city that is served by
> Direct TV. Currently on cable but looking at possibly changing. I've
> also got a small cabin approx. 130 miles north and Direct TV is
> available there as well. Currently, the cabin is served by C-Band but
> with C-Band dying the slow death and prices continually rising, I'm
> looking into Direct TV there as well. I just received an offer from
> DirectTV that offers 3 receivers free. I only need 1-2 of them at my
> home and was wondering if I found a second dish, could I haul the 3rd
> receiver up to the cabin and be able to use it, all on the same
> account? I've talked with DirectTV about this and they are saying we
> could do this but only be able to view their services at one location
> at a time (ie. watch at home but not the cabin simultaneously and vice
> versa). I'm not sure I understand why I couldn't use both
> simultaneously. I'm new to the small dish satellite stuff so sorry
> if this is a stupid question.
>
> Ultimately, I'd very much like to have TV at both home and cabin and
> be able to watch simultaneously all on the same package (ie. not have
> to pay for a second package). I only use the cabin TV about 2-3 days
> a month-6 weeks.
>
> Thanks very much for any help!
> jlc
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 8:52:12 PM

James Cubby Culbertson wrote:

> Hiya,
> Here's my situation. I have a home in a city that is served by
> Direct TV. Currently on cable but looking at possibly changing. I've
> also got a small cabin approx. 130 miles north and Direct TV is
> available there as well.

DTV or DISH is available anywhere in the US that has a clear
unobstructed "view" to the south/south east.

Meaning just that!
If there are tall tree's and stuff in the way, then you won't have
Satellite availability.

> Currently, the cabin is served by C-Band but
> with C-Band dying the slow death and prices continually rising, I'm
> looking into Direct TV there as well.

You mean that there are SOME "C-Band" satellites in view, right?
After all, many satellites(if not most) carry both C and KU bands.
All YOU have to do is figure out what's available on your property.
I can't see it from here! :)

Get a compass and inclinometer and remind your self where you live AND
either download "Paul Lutes" software, or buy a tool that pinpoints the
exact location of the bird yer looking for in one shot.
Yes the latter does cost money!
But if you just tell us your cabin's location (Zip code) then I can
tell you in a flash what aim you need!

Or download zipcode32.zip (But that's for Dishnet)

> I just received an offer from
> DirectTV that offers 3 receivers free. I only need 1-2 of them at my
> home and was wondering if I found a second dish, could I haul the 3rd
> receiver up to the cabin and be able to use it, all on the same
> account?

Yup.
But, YOU will have to fully install the one at your cabin yourself
AFTER having _all three_ installed in your orginal home FIRST!
All billing will be counted as "three", and sent to the original billing
address.

If you don't feel confident about the install and aiming, then have them
do it!

> I've talked with DirectTV about this and they are saying we
> could do this but only be able to view their services at one location
> at a time (ie. watch at home but not the cabin simultaneously and vice
> versa). I'm not sure I understand why I couldn't use both
> simultaneously. I'm new to the small dish satellite stuff so sorry
> if this is a stupid question.

It's a common guestion.
But it's simple.
They are a company that wants to make money.
So here's the trick!
Have them come out to your cabin first, and have THEM look at the area
to make sure that what you want to watch is even available!
Then say..."Nah! I don't want it!"
Then have them look at your main home and do the same thing for three
installs!

Watch how they do it, and then install yor own dish back at the cabin!
Drill your own holes, run the cable.. bring your receiver... WALLLA!
All bills are sent to the Original location!
The reason DTV or anybody else for that matter will NOT do that for the
same "free Fee" is because that's two installations on their part!
Time= labor= is money!

> Ultimately, I'd very much like to have TV at both home and cabin and
> be able to watch simultaneously all on the same package (ie. not have
> to pay for a second package). I only use the cabin TV about 2-3 days
> a month-6 weeks.

Sounds familure.
You asked before, didn't you?
April 27, 2004 12:58:42 PM

Hey folks,
Thanks for the help. The cabin is located in 87710 zip code.
DirectTV says locals (from 87110) will be available in June). I am
surrounded by trees so not even sure if it'll work. I like the idea
of having someone come out and survey the property to see if DTV would
even work before going to this trouble. I'm pretty handy at DIY so
am not too worried about the install should I do it myself.

One last question, did I read somewhere that each receiver has to be
hooked up to a phone line as well? If so, that might cause problems
with two different phone lines.

Anyway, thanks very much for the help!
cc
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 4:35:37 PM

> Hey folks,
> Thanks for the help. The cabin is located in 87710 zip code.
> DirectTV says locals (from 87110) will be available in June). I am
> surrounded by trees so not even sure if it'll work. I like the idea
> of having someone come out and survey the property to see if DTV would
> even work before going to this trouble. I'm pretty handy at DIY so
> am not too worried about the install should I do it myself.
>
> One last question, did I read somewhere that each receiver has to be
> hooked up to a phone line as well? If so, that might cause problems
> with two different phone lines.
>
> Anyway, thanks very much for the help!

The only time you need to connectto the phone line is if you use
Pay-Per-View
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:14:46 PM

James Cubby Culbertson wrote:

> Hey folks,
> Thanks for the help. The cabin is located in 87710 zip code.
> DirectTV says locals (from 87110) will be available in June).

Angel fire, NM?
I was sorta near there last month..twice.. as I rode from NJ to Carson,
NV and back!

> I am
> surrounded by trees so not even sure if it'll work. I like the idea
> of having someone come out and survey the property to see if DTV would
> even work before going to this trouble.

Wise Choice!
Glad I recommended it, as it is free for you, to have -them- survey.

DISCLAIMER!
Unless of course the independant installer says out front that they will
charge you a fee if you are out of their way!
I tell my customers before I show up that there's at least a 30 dollar
charge if I have to hit over 30 miles. All refundable of course, IF
their site has a clear shot and I install.
Time is money after all, and where I am (NJ) 30 miles is over an hour,
each direction, of my time and gasoline!

I think that's fair.

> I'm pretty handy at DIY so
> am not too worried about the install should I do it myself.

Installing Is pretty easy and straight forward.

> One last question, did I read somewhere that each receiver has to be
> hooked up to a phone line as well?

You might have read it, but it's not really true or needed unless you
want PAY PER VIEW.

> If so, that might cause problems
> with two different phone lines.

If you want the PPV, then it won't work at remote locations.
For "normal" TV viewing, no receiver needs to be connected to a phone
line.

BUT(!), all receivers MUST first be "authorized" and connected at the
original home site first!
After that is done, THEN you can move the second/third box anywhere you
want and enjoy seeing all the same programs that you see at home.
(Except the PPV at your cabin!)

You just have to install the antenna and run the cable.

> Anyway, thanks very much for the help!

Have fun!
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:53:35 PM

You also need the phone line if you subscribe to the sports packages
like MLB Extra Innings,NBA League Pass,NHL Center Ice,and NFL Sunday
Ticket.....at least I was told.They said it was to determine your
eligibility in determining your blackout zone.I was told if you do not
have the phone line installed ALL your sports programming will be
blacked out.I do not know this for a certainty,as I have never tested
it.
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 11:25:52 PM

> Angel fire, NM?
> I was sorta near there last month..twice.. as I rode from NJ to Carson,
> NV and back!

Yup, Angelfire, NM. By the way, that's a long trip you took!

Thanks a Million for the help. The PPV/Telephone explanations
cleared everything up! I just need to track down a second dish
(thinking newspaper or even Ebay). First, of course will be to have
someone survey it for me. Folks around me have the smaller dish so
I'm assuming it's available in that locale.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the help!!!
cc
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 6:16:25 PM

James Cubby Culbertson wrote:

> > Angel fire, NM?
> > I was sorta near there last month..twice.. as I rode from NJ to Carson,
> > NV and back!
> >

> Yup, Angelfire, NM. By the way, that's a long trip you took!

Indeed.
And if anybody else does that, get a good after market seat!
!