ASUS P6X58D-E
Corsair HX 750
6 GB of G Skill cas 7 1333 RAM
GTX 470
Seagate 7200.12 500 gb
Lian Li PC-7FN Case comes with one 140 mm intake and one 120 mm exhaust
ASUS DVD
23" ASUS LCD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

I've been hearing not so great things about the stock 1366 backplate and cooler and am wondering if I should just go ahead and pony up for an aftermarket heatsink. I'm assuming I can't reach a huge overclock on the 1333 RAM I selected, and am fine with that as I don't think my case will have great airflow right off the bat. Maybe a target OC of 3.5 ghz. I also am curious as to whether anyone knows if any of my RAM slots will be obstructed by the HSF's I'm considering below.

XIGMATEK Dark Knight
CM Hyper 212 Plus
Thermalright Venomous

a c 86 K Overclocking
May 4, 2010 5:54:31 AM

Ram speed is seperate with the i7 /i5 series. Don't worry about your ram.

You want to OC the processor? Get an aftermarket HS.

There is 20+++ threads on good heatsinks here. Maybe you should read all of them to help withj your decision.

Fitting with the ram, so many boards and such, best of luck.

m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2010 7:44:21 PM

Ok thanks. Am I wrong in thinking that since I'm using 1333 ram and not 1600 that I wouldn't be able to reach anything above 3.5 ghz if I set my bclk to 167? (167*21=3.5 ghz cpu oc and 167*8=1333 mhz) From my limited understanding you can change the mem multiplier to 6 and reach 4.2 ghz cpu overclock safely (200 bclk * 21 and 200*6 = 1200 mhz ram speed). However, what are the side effects of changing the base memory multiplier from 8 to 6?
m
l

Best solution

a c 86 K Overclocking
May 5, 2010 3:14:04 AM

You start out with any overclock adventure with a little at a time. You make changes reboot, stress test, you then repeat again, again, again etc till you rech your max overclock.

It's not a Ronco TV device you set and forget.

maybe this will help, a VERY VERY good OC guide.

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core...

So even before you decide to overclock, get a good cooler first. Learn to put it on right and get good temps at stock.

Don't even start OC till you got that done. Slowwww downnn.
May 5, 2010 4:04:15 AM

That link is really helpful...thanks for the advice.

I don't plan on jumping into the deep end immediately. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect with the hardware I selected and making sure I have some OC headroom. First things first, I'm just going to use the stock intel HSF so I can see how that functions and have some temps to compare a future aftermarket HSF against.
m
l
May 5, 2010 4:04:28 AM

Best answer selected by waffleufugus.
m
l
!