EX58 UD3R - on-board sound not working

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
i recently built my computer up from scratch (2 days ago, specifically) and have been working essentially nonstop attempting to find drivers, or fixes for my REALTEK HD AUDIO on-board soundcard. it produces absolutely no sound at all. not even horrible sound as i've been reading seems to be a common problem.

i'm running Vista x64 Ultimate
on a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R (NOT SLI) mobo rev1.0
w/ Realtek HD AUDIO - Azalia drivers (that seem to not function)

i've downloaded the latest drivers at least a dozen times (from both Gigabyte, and Realtek), installed/uninstalled them, reconfigured the plugs in the back panel. and the system has consistently said "everything is working perfectly" but i get no audio. Also, the volume in Mixer/Volume Control is cranked up, as well as everywhere else i could find a slider. still no audio.

I double checked the speakers against my ipod... those work fine...

so the question is... could this be a BIOS issue? should i flash to F5 (currently my mobo's at F1)? would that possibly/probably help? does anybody have any ideas they could offer me?

if more specs are needed i've got them aplenty as well.

thanks in advance :D

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
yeah, there's only two options in the bios
AZALIA CODEC: [x] AUTO / [_] DISABLE
so it's merely set to "auto".

maybe there's a way to force it in the newer BIOS? (that is what i'm hoping for) but i've never flashed a BIOS and i understand it's risky business... hence my hesitation

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
UPDATE:

apparently it's incredibly valid i point out another spec for my home built machine, i have an ATI 3870 built by DIAMOND

specifically: DIAMOND VIPER 3870 HD [or 3870pe31g]

that's significant because it has an HD audio driver in the chipset (yet there's no jacks for audio, huh) and it's (i believe) stealing away my on-board HD audio.

so another question: any idea how to fix THAT one?

i'll be on the phone with diamond tomorrow, i'll update you guys if i get an answer.

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
is there any way to do that in BIOS? i'm running Linux & Vista both, and Linux doesn't even recognize there's an onboard sound card, due to the 3870

if not, w/in vista, where do i "disable" the HDMI sound? Device Manager? Sound>Playback? Registry?

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Just contacted Gigabyte. their answer was simply "set the BIOS to auto, that should enable it." and "be sure to disable the videocard's HDMI AUDIO settings." both of which are done already...

edit:
i've now dug into the device manager and found the HDMI audio drivers... uninstalled them so all i had was the on-board audio according to VISTA.... still no luck

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
!! UNFINAL RESULTING SOLUTION !!
(this failed on reboot)

under Services.msc set Ati External Event Utility to Disable

under Device Manager go to System Devices > High Definition Audio Controller, right-click it & select Properties on the General tab if it says Location: PCI Bus 0, (etc.) THAT is your onboard audio, if it says Location: PCI Bus 2, (etc.) or any other PCI Bus # bigger than 0, that's your 3870, DISABLE THAT ONE!

Lastly, go to Control Panel > Sound and on the Playback Devices select Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio. (if it's not there, you disabled the wrong High Definition Audio Controller in Device Manager, go back to step 2 and try again :p)

Obviously you may not have the same setup as me, so realistically, if you have the 3870 and an onboard soundcard and you're having this problem, you're high definition audio controller may not be realtek, you might want to figure that part out first...

ALSO: get the latest drivers...
i did this setup 1,000x this weekend. and eventually flashed the BIOS, uninstalled every audio/video driver i had, reinstalled every audio/video driver i had. so if that doesn't work right off the bad, uninstall your drivers (all of them a/v related) and reinstall them again. try again.

hopefully, all this struggle helps somebody out in the future.

RE-EDIT
computer crashed, and i'm back to square one...

treezrppl2

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
AudioFail.jpg

anybody notice what i'm doing wrong? i can't figure it out...

it was working, i got BSoDed and then it stopped working again.