Sign in with
Your question

What Tuner? - help on Vista 64

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2009 7:42:56 PM

Ive been looking over different threads for tuners and their various problems with vista 64bit

can anyone suggest a reliable tv tuner for my O/S??

my price range is up to £50

thanks

More about : tuner vista

January 6, 2009 7:55:11 PM

I actually was thinking of the same thing.

I know that the Dvico tuners work in Vista, but are not great with the media center, which I would like to use.

I would like to know of other suggestions as well.

Thanks.
January 6, 2009 8:52:12 PM

you can buy a Kworld HD tuner and it works really well with media center
January 6, 2009 10:27:05 PM

My recommendation would be something from Hauppauge or ATi, both have a better than average history with Vista 64-bit, but ALL have issues with Vista 64, it's the one that even 'Works with Vista' models have issues with of some kind.

It also depends a bit on what you are trying to tune in. QAM seems to be the biggest stumbling for some.

I've used botht he ATi 650 USB and the Hauppauge 1500 in a Vista 32-bit environments, and the ATi 650 USB in an XP 64 environment at work, worked fine in both (although had a few more Green screens under XP64, but changing channels or closing and opening the software cleared that.

Never used the V64 version for either just because it's been a hassle and for laptops, not practical until only recently.

I would say either Hauppauge or ATi have the best support in the biz and have done the most work to get their software to work under Vista, but there are other options out there, just make sure they work for what you need, or know how to make them work (like using a 3rd party app like BeyondTV).
!