Sign in with
Your question

Ghost question

Last response: in Windows XP
May 18, 2011 4:31:02 PM

Hello,

I'm using ghost 8 to clone some HP / Lenovo desktop of C: drive, also I'm trying to restore their image to another harddisk (not factory harddisk), after restored image but cannot bootup ... the message is cannot find operating system.

So restore image to same harddisk, it can successfully restore image.

Thanks !

More about : ghost question

May 18, 2011 4:41:13 PM

If you're looking to clone a recovery Partition, I think you'd need to go into the software and fish out the ISO image and burn that separately.

Also, if you're trying to clone an HP system to a Lenovo/IBM machine,. you will have problems - the drivers will be all wrong. Can you please be more specific?

m
l
May 19, 2011 3:26:09 PM

leiw said:
Hello,

I'm using ghost 8 to clone some HP / Lenovo desktop of C: drive, also I'm trying to restore their image to another harddisk (not factory harddisk), after restored image but cannot bootup ... the message is cannot find operating system.

So restore image to same harddisk, it can successfully restore image.

Thanks !

My Lord, I thought that I was the only person still using Ghost 8, from back in 2003.

First question: is the original drive dead, runnable but not in the state that you want, or would you settle for a copy of the current state of the original drive to the new drive? If you can do a new dump, then just make sure that it is a disk copy and not a partition copy.

On the other hand, if you need the exact state that is in the existing dump, read on.

Was the original image made as a disk image or a partition image? If it's a partition image, restoring it to another drive won't make it bootable. If it's a disk image, the result should be bootable when restored to another drive. You can tell when you restore from it.

If the problem is that you did an image restore, or even that other drivers are needed, you can restore to the new drive and, if you have the original system disk, do a Repair Install. That will fix the non-partition parts of the drive.
If you don't have the original disk, but the original hard drive is still bootable, you can
1) Do a new ghost image of entire drive and restore it to the new drive. This will make the drive bootable, but it will not have whatever version of the image that you saved.
2) Then restore the saved partition over the restored OS partition.

(Saga, Ghost 8 does not make ISO images.)

Let me know what case you are in: machine boots off the old disk or not, the exact current condition of the old disk is good and can be copied, or you need the version of the OS in your existing dump. Then I can get more specific.
m
l
May 19, 2011 5:27:44 PM

It's been a while since I used Ghost 8 - I prefer Acronis True Image these days but there are free utilities out there which work well. I'd still like some clarificaiton on this HP/Lenovo mix though - a disatser could be looming.

m
l
!